Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

$150 per barrel, your opinion of the impact.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have been patiently waiting for the next Y2K scenario to come down the pike. So is this all supposed to happen in 2012? Thats what I keep hearing... End of the mayan calendar end of the world. Rider on a pale horse etc etc...

ArmIgettingit now. :eek:

I can't really share the doom and gloom thing either. I mean comon, we've been hearing "The Oil is going to run out soon!" for the past 30-40 years. Quite frankly I am tired of hearing about it. As long as I can drive, and fly my C-150 and P28-140, I'm happy. I just think alot of people need to take a chill pill.

LAXSaabdude said:
I agree. I find this to be a troubling theme on a lot of the peak oil websites. Life After The Oil Crash is one of the worst. The only advice I was really able to gather from that site is "Hang it up folks, this is the end." Doesn't really motivate one to try to solve the problem. One by one, the author brings up, and shoots down every alternative energy source available. Hybrid cars, biodiesel, ethanol, hydrogen, solar, wind.....forget it, he says.

Makes me wonder if he is actually in bed with the oil companies!

LAXSaabdude.

I also find it interesting how many of these sites like lifeafterthecrash take so little into account. For instance even if we didn't have oil, we would still have far more energy in other forms as well as far more knowledge than those before oil. For example we know more about energy now than we did even a few years ago and we understand that there is far more energy around us than we could handle. We not yet sure how to make efficient use of it all, but then again our ancestors weren't sure how to make use of oil either.

Things will change, however not all changes are for the worse.

Just think about this one...

We find an efficient way to make nuclear, solar and wind generated electricity, so the demand for oil drops to half.

Guess what the price of oil is going to do then, you doomsday freaks?

Uhhhhh....double?

Jet airliners and turboprops can't run on batteries, neither can freight trains, ships or semi-trucks. So your transportation costs are going to go through the roof. Why do you think we pay less for fuel than our counterparts? Mass consumption.

Sometimes I wonder how much oil we really have left. I mean you'd think the earth would re-pleanish the oil levels every once in a few million years.

FN FAL said:
I'd guess that I wouldn't have to go into work the next day...but I'd be glad that I had the foresight to have socked away 1,000 rounds of 9mm, 1,000 rounds of .223, 1000 rounds of .308 and a hefty brick or two of .22LR and .40 S&W on hand, because getting dinner on the table won't be like it was when driving up the road to the grocery store was an after thought.
Ah, yes.... Eric at Ammoman.com is our friend.... :D

Too bad I have about 2k rounds of 7.62x39 sitting around with no AK to shoot it out of.... (anymore) :(

Back on topic...

Human beings are resourceful creatures, but there still almost certainly be a "great depression" the likes of which we've never seen.

It would be during these most dire times that government and corporation would band together to develop an alternate fuel source and bring it quickly to market.

Quickly enough to prevent you and I (pilots) from losing our jobs? Not likely. I'm talking over the course of a generation or two... not 5 or 10 years.

The lack of petrolium based fuel is not likely to stop human development. But it will be one heck of a speed-bump in day-to-day life. Airline travel would once again be relegated to the wealthy. All but government sponsered national carriers would most likely go the way of the dinosaur.

Corporate flight operations would most likely wither on the vine unless they were specifically required for the operation of the corporation. The Nantucket golf junkets would most likely come to an end.

I would expect trucking to quickly modify their fleets nationwide to natural gas/methane -- and then over the course of a few decades go to fuel-cells. The nation simply couldn't survive without the trucking industry. They would be the first to make a giant leap away from gasoline.

islandhopper said:
I have been patiently waiting for the next Y2K scenario to come down the pike. So is this all supposed to happen in 2012? Thats what I keep hearing... End of the mayan calendar end of the world. Rider on a pale horse etc etc...

ArmIgettingit now. :eek:

Yep. Also aren't we supposed to be dead from global warming now? I am old enough to remember the all knowing pointy-headed scientists saying the planet had only 20 years to go and all the life in the oceans was doomed. Sure glad that didn't happen.

MarineGrunt said:
Ah, yes.... Eric at Ammoman.com is our friend.... :D

Too bad I have about 2k rounds of 7.62x39 sitting around with no AK to shoot it out of.... (anymore) :(
Is it that stinky Russian Wolf ammo? That stuff has a sulfur smell when you shoot it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back