Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

$150 per barrel, your opinion of the impact.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For a completely different view on the subject:

http://www2.exxonmobil.com/Corporate/Citizenship/Corp_citizenship_energy_outlook.asp

Be sure to scroll down about halfway. The first half is all about demand, the second is about supply.

Incidentally, the Exxon-Mobil chart does not show worldwide oil production peaking even by 2030. They do point out that "non-OPEC" production will peak in the next 10 years or so. Not world wide oil production, however.

A few key quotes.

ExxonMobil said:
The absolute level of conventional oil-in-place is not precisely knowable, but is estimated to be between six and eight trillion barrels.

ExxonMobil said:
Current estimates of extra-heavy oil and oil sands are over four trillion barrels in-place. This estimate is expected to increase as interest in these particular resources grows. These resources are more highly concentrated than conventional oil, with large deposits in Canada, Venezuela, Russia and the Caspian region. With recovery factors in the 20-25% range, 800 billion to one trillion barrels may ultimately be produced –- an amount equivalent to the total of all conventional oil produced to date.

ExxonMobil said:
Shale oil, another very large type of frontier resource, has not received much attention since the 1970s and '80s during the time of the oil price shocks. In-place oil shale deposits are estimated to be in excess of three trillion barrels.

wrxpilot said:
Well, fear can be used as a form of control. When "bad" things are about to happen, many will gladly exchange their rights for "security".
Yup, I just read that domestic violence is down to half. Combine that with the FBI stats that violent crime has dropped to a post WWII low during the last 12 years and I can see where there will be the need for the media to create new boogie men to sell papers...or Cable Television "Mock-u-mentrys"...like "Oil Storm", "Super Volcano", "Super Tsunami", "Super Earth Quake", "Super Drought", and on and on...

Hi!

Or the need for a certain president to sell America on the fear of a WMD attack on American soil so they can justify attacking a Middle-Eastern country.

Or the need of a certain presidential candidate to sell America on the fear of a terrorist attack so they can win the election. People in little towns in America's heartland were terrified of getting hit by terrorists.

I don't think blowing up the airport in Paducah, KY is high on Al-Quaida's list.

Cliff
HEF

atpcliff said:
I don't think blowing up the airport in Paducah, KY is high on Al-Quaida's list.
Nor would Owl-Kay-duh target OWB, either. I doubt their beef is with municipal airports that serve communities comprised mostly of unwed mothers.

ATPCliff,

You know a lot about the peak oil problem and more people would be wise to listen to you. I've done research like mad this last month on the problem. It is astonishing that we as a WORLD have let ourselves get into the predicament we're in. The world is in for a lot of changes these next ten years. IT WILL BE A LONG EMERGENCY.

A lot of people have no idea what is about to happen. I too am one of those "NUTS" switching my money to gold, foreign currencies, and energy mutual funds.

Most people will bury their heads in the sand and be in denial for quite a while. You see that from most of the people on here.

You guys refuse to do research, but just DENY that your way of living will change. It's understandable. I don't blame any of you. It's natural.

Eventually the denial won't do you any good though,

Jet
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER---
YOU SHOULD ALL READ THE FOLLOWING WEBSITES and DO YOUR OWN FOLLOWUP RESEARCH:
1)Website once again for introduction:
www.yubanet.com/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi/8/15426
and
2)Website about the problems we face:
www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net
3)A recent Associated press article:
http://home.peoplepc.com/psp/newsstory.asp?cat=news&referrer=welcome&id=20050528/4297ecc0_3421_1334520050528-950973917
4)CHATGROUP devoted to PEAK OIL PROBLEMS:
www.peakoil.com

Hi!

FN FAL:
Thanx 4 showing me how to spell Owlkayduh. I thought I might have misspelled it.

Cliff
HEF

PS-C, U kan eevun lurn speling on the inturnet. My wif thot it was just 4 durty pikturs!

Princedietrich said:
As long as we've got a government full of rich dudes that own lots of stock in oil companies, alternative energy sources are not going to happen in the US.
99% True. Alternative energy will happen, but only when those same rich dudes ensure that the oil companies they are invested in recieve all of the taxpayer-funded R&D money to develop alternative energy. Exxon ethanol, anyone?

LAXSaabdude.

While you are doing research, here is another website you might want to check out:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/feature_articles/2004/worldoilsupply/oilsupply04.html

Oh, and keep in mind that none of these sites (either the peak oil sites or the DOE site) take into account "nontraditional" sources of oil-- oil sands and oil shale. Those sources are vast and are economical at $35/barrel.

jetflyer said:
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
YOU SHOULD ALL READ THE FOLLOWING WEBSITES and DO YOUR OWN FOLLOWUP RESEARCH:

Hi!

THere's lots of oil shale and tar sands in Canada. Unfortunately, with current techology, we have to burn a lot of natural gas to get the oil out of those resources, and the supply of natural gas will peak soon after the supplly of oil peaks. I read that we don't have enough natural gas to get the oil out of those resources in Canada.

Cliff
YIP

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back