• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

15 More Q400's for Colgan-CAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm trying to keep up, but it's hard so help me out here....Who is worse?

1- Republic guys for stealing Midwest Jobs
2- Colgan guys stealing xpress jet, co express, pinnacle or whoeverelse
3- Mesaba for stealing ASA Jobs
4- Go Jet for stealing whatever it is they're accused of
5-Trans states for taking eagle jobs...or is it the other way around...
6- Mainline pilots giving up SCOPE and letting all this nonsense happen

I can't figure it out anymore!!
(insert sarcasm here for those of you who "don't get it")

What will it take for all of you to figure out what is REALLY going on here?

Mesa started this BS....they approached airlines offering to fly for peanuts. Since the mid 90s, when Mesa pull this crap, its been a race to the bottom.

just thinking about it pisses me off

Depends on the plane flown. I think we at Piedmont get paid decent for a 37 seat plane. Airwiskey seem to pay good for a 50 seat RJ, and Horizon pays very well for a 70 Seat Prop and Jet.

How do you define a pilots worth? EMB170 for 23.00?

For some reason we are conditioned to think that if you make 30k your first year and 50k your second as an airline pilot you are paid well. With the amount of responsibility, skill and training required for the job we should get at least what an entry level engineer or other comparably skilled professional would make.

That being said every fo out there should start at 45-55k first year and every capt should make no less than 80k.

we ALL have a long way to go.

For some reason we are conditioned to think that if you make 30k your first year and 50k your second as an airline pilot you are paid well. With the amount of responsibility, skill and training required for the job we should get at least what an entry level engineer or other comparably skilled professional would make.

That being said every fo out there should start at 45-55k first year and every capt should make no less than 80k.

we ALL have a long way to go.

How can we get paid what an entry level engineers gets paid? With modern cockpits and automation I could walk down the street and grab 10 folks with no experience and have about 8 them flying a modern jet in 6 months.

Bottom line is that job is not hard. And as long as people are willing to whore themselves it will never ever get better.

How can we get paid what an entry level engineers gets paid? With modern cockpits and automation I could walk down the street and grab 10 folks with no experience and have about 8 them flying a modern jet in 6 months.

Bottom line is that job is not hard. And as long as people are willing to whore themselves it will never ever get better.

Yes, physically controlling the plane has become easier. However, that is really a small part of our job. and I would disagree that 8 out of 10 off the street could do it. I think 5 out of 10 that want to do it can.

It isn't hard, until the shee-ite (or geese) hit the fan. The pay should be commensurate with the responsibility. No matter how easy the job seems most days, the responsibility is still extraordinary and we are undercompensated by any measure.

I am not for a moment suggesting that your compensation should determine to what degree you act like a professional on the job. Professional ethics (I know management doesn't have any-- Let that one go!) dictates that we remain professional regardless of the compensation we recieve... If not for our passenger's sakes, than for our own! What does concern me is that the low level of compensation effects the industry's ability to attract and hold people who want to go the extra mile to improve their knowledge of the art. Good flying skills, good judgement and the desire to improve both continuously are (still) important and compensation levels directly effect the ability to recruit and retain those people most likely to exhibit these traits and skill sets.

Time for 9E guys to just close down this airline and then we don't have to worry about putting up with the b...s... at this place anymore!

If that is the case, Raskal, I'll retract the part aimed at you. However, I suspect more than one or two Colon pilots are frothing at the mouth over the idea of more planes.

If that is the case, Raskal, I'll retract the part aimed at you. However, I suspect more than one or two Colon pilots are frothing at the mouth over the idea of more planes.

And why won't they? Hell, thats what anyone wants at there airline is growth.

This is a Chance now for Colgan to have some kinda leverage to neg. a decent contract.

Latest resources

Back