• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

15 Highest Paying Jobs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
$140k.... average... for ALL airline pilots....? what, did they survey just captain's at majors? Or maybe their sample was WN, UPS, and FDX?

I've pointed this out before--- this is part of a campaign so that when it comes time to strike... we won't have the political will behind us. And that governs everything in our negotiation process.

Write a letter to your union and have them condemn this type of article and tell the REAL story of compensation in our career.

The AP story is just a reprinting from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. I looked at the BLS's website and here is the problem.....

(2) Annual wages have been calculated by multiplying the hourly mean wage by a "year-round, full-time" hours figure of 2,080 hours; for those occupations where there is not an hourly mean wage published, the annual wage has been directly calculated from the reported survey data.

So, basically their estimate is off by about 50%. We all need to send an email to the BLS and tell them. I'm contacting the AP too. We'll see if they care about accurate reporting, but I think I already know the answer...

Scott

I just sent the following letter to the BLS. Feel free to cut and paste it and send it to them.

I just read an AP report about the highest paid professionals in the US. The story listed airline pilots as earning about $140,000/year on average. I've been an airline pilot for 7 years and have spent my whole life around this industry and I know that is wrong. The AP article stated its source as the Bureau of Labor statistics. I looked up the source of the AP data on the BLS website and there is a major problem with the data.
The earnings data is based on pilots getting their hourly rates for 2080 hours per year. The reality is that pilots get about 1000 hours a year of pay while working a full time schedule. Pilot pay can get a bit complex and is different from airline to airline, but we basically get paid our hourly rate when the engines are running. We don't get our hourly rate during boarding, between flights, maintenance delays, etc.
Please email me if you'd like more information, but please correct your data.
Thank you.

Here's the link to send it..

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/forms/oes?/oes/current/oes532011.htm

Scott

I also sent to following to the Associated Press. If all of us send this letter to them maybe they'll do something about it.

[email protected]

Hello,

I just read your "15 Highest Paying Jobs" story and there is a major error in the data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The letter I sent to the BLS is below. The BLS data basically shows airline pilots making about twice what we really do.

A retraction of your story would be appreciated as airline pilots have taken major hits in carrer earning and quality of life in the past few years. We are trying to fight our way back, but stories with gross errors like this one are not helping.

Thank you.
Scott Stearns

Letter to BLS....

I just read an AP report about the highest paid professionals in the US. The story listed airline pilots as earning about $140,000/year on average. I've been an airline pilot for 7 years and have spent my whole life around this industry and I know that is wrong. The AP article stated its source as the Bureau of Labor statistics. I looked up the source of the AP data on the BLS website and there is a major problem with the data.
The earnings data is based on pilots getting their hourly rates for 2080 hours per year. The reality is that pilots get about 1000 hours a year of pay while working a full time schedule. Pilot pay can get a bit complex and is different from airline to airline, but we basically get paid our hourly rate when the engines are running. We don't get our hourly rate during boarding, between flights, maintenance delays, etc.
Please email me if you'd like more information, but please correct your data.
Thank you.
Scott Stearns

I don't know what surgeon makes 184000, My uncle is a surgeon and he makes 180000 in 3 months. I think they're talking about vetenerian doctors at least i hope so.:smash:

Agreed. The most amazing thing to me is how no medical profession in their survey averages above $200K....I can't believe that to be true. And what about lawyers? Or Wall Street types? And they surely must have missed a digit with the CEO salary: $146K? YGBSM!

I suppose they are just looking at hourly wages, when there are a whole lot of other forms of compensation.

hey- i don't dig on doctors anymore-- we talk about the attack on our profession- and the medical profession is under full scale attack by the same type of corporate folk- the HMO has driven costs through the roof while increasing admin costs more than 10 fold- meaning the doc that actually does the work gets less and less.
It's a full scale war against the working/producing professional. CEO types want what we earn.
And they're getting it through these types of campaigns.

Latest resources

Back