14-day CFI & CFII & MEI ???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ATP Locations

I was told that Stuart FL, Jacksonville FL, and Las Vegas were the only three that offered the complete program. I was thinking about the one in Trenton NJ, but I can only do the CFII and MEI there, I guess those certs are add on's. I have to get my CFI at any of the above locations first. I'm thinking about Stuart, or Jacksonville. Any info? What do you think?

Sean,

You are correct that the CFII and MEI are add ons. In my case the initial CFI was done in the Seminole (CFI multi engine only)and then I had to do a Single engine add on in the 172 ( CFI and MEI) and then a third ride in the 172 gave me the CFII.

They may allow for the CFI initial in one location and then the add ons in another location. The CFI initial is the most thorough ride and should be done at one of their "suggested" locations. After that whatever works.

I do recall the JAX location but the Vegas and Stuart locations are new since I was there. Follow their advice and they will get you done according to schedule.

Lesson Plans

I'd just chime in that you can find the FAA-approved lesson plan format in the FOI (Aviation Instructor's Handbook). With your education background working up a lesson plan will only be a bit less hard than your Finance or Econ courses for your M.B.A. ;)

Good luck with your training, wherever you choose. I agree 100% with the above that you'll find the flight instructing experience to be very rewarding and gratifying.

Just a few thoughts on the lesson plans. I personally thought that writing the plans was not really the challenging part. It was presenting them utilizings different styles (formal brief, lecture, guided discussion) in manner in which a student could understand.
I had no previous teaching expierence aside from the odd presentation in college so it was difficult at first. These are the skills that FSI was really polishing in all those hours of simulated instructing I ended up giving.
Now I feel as if I could be a quest speaker at riddle (well mabye not yet...) For some people this kind of thing comes very naturally and for others it takes a little more work. Most of us got into this gig to be pilots not teachers. I would look at both programs and see which suits you the best.

Good luck!

Latest resources

Back