Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sean

Question:

I'm just finishing up at Flightsafety with my CIME. I would like to get my CFI--CFII--MEI ratings and do a little teaching, maybe one or two students. I have a chance to fly a twin otter for a big skydiving operation. Right now I'm figuring out my options.

1) Stay at Flightsafety for ratings

-or-
2) I just read about ATP. They say in 15 days I could have my CFI, CFII, MEI.

Anyone know anything about ATP. It is half the time and half the money compaired to most other flying schools. Again, I'm thinking about one or two students, fly the otter, etc.

FSI v. others

15 days seems terribly fast to earn a CFI. The flying alone would be overwhelming. Did they say anything about the briefing time you'll need to prepare for the oral? The initial CFI oral is no day at the beach.

I'd stay at FSI. You'll get better training. I know; I taught CFI students at FSI. Of course, you'll pay for it.

I'd be wary of the Otter offer. These great prospects have a way of evaporating, not to mention problems of insurability as a freshly-minted commercial pilot. You'll always be able to find work instructing.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
I can pretty much guarantee that 95% of the people on this board will agree that it is a good idea that you get your instructor certificate (at least the initial). Where you get them is up to you, just make sure you consider ALL options and make the decision that is best for you. I don't have any personal experience with either FSI or ATP. But I do have a few close friends that have gone to either one of them. FSI is an excellent school from everything I hear, but as bobbysamd pointed out, they are VERY expensive! My friends that have gone to ATP, in Chicago have generally had good experiences. One thing that they all had to say is that they were trained to pass the DE's checkride. ATP (at least the one in Chicago) has used the same DE's for their checkrides over and over again, year after year. It is MY opinion that they know the DE's checkride and review these areas only, and rarely anything else, which is why they can do all three in such a short amount of time. You will essentially be using rote memorization in order to pass the ride. This can really bite you in the a$$ later on! I used to work at American Flyers, DPA and we had an Instructor Academy that cost around $2500 for the CFI and CFII. This did not include your MEI, and took about 30-35 days. People on this board have had varying experiences with American Flyers, which in my opinion was dependant on which location they attended, but I would absolutely give a thumbs up to the Instructor Academy at the DPA school in Chicago. You can do a search on this board for more info. about them. Also consider your local FBO. In my opinion, it does not take a big school to make a good CFI. It takes a good, knowledgeable, understanding, and enthusiastic instructor, (that can be found at any of the "big" schools, but also down the road at your local FBO) and a dedicated, hard working student. Your instructor certificate is probably the most challenging certificate you will earn (key word being "earn"). Do some homework, then dig in!!!

As far as the Twin Otter gig goes, you are either extremely lucky if it pans out, or you will have been suckered. Not many insurance companies like having pilots with "low time" flying their airplanes... especially a multiengine turbine. Just don't count your chickens before their hatched. If it works out for you i'd be extremely jealous... the Twin Otter is an awesome airplane!!! :)

Best of luck!

Sure you can do it 15 days. All you got to do is smoke a lot of crack and pop those little white pills when your starting to wind down from the crack. Then if you want to take a quick nap, pop a couple downers. J/K

No seriously, 15 days seems a little quick to me especially if you don't have a lot of flight time/experience under your belt. Flight Safety is a great place so I would stay there. Making transitions to other schools isn't that efficient. I have a couple friends who got all their ratings up to there CFI at ATP and they enjoyed it. They came out with over 200 hrs of multi time. The accelerated program your talking about is one I haven't heard of. Call up one of their reps and discuss the program. Don't let them sweet talk you either.

If you can line up the skydiving job, take it. But still get your CFI and instruct a bit.

Good Luck!

CFI in 14 days

Thanks for the info!

In case you guys wanted to see the article about ATP, it's in the lastest Flight Training Magazine. I believe the third page.

Cheers-

I got my CFI/II in 10 days from start to finish. It was a quick course, but it worked out really well. Why does it have to take a month or more to get your CFI? Seems like there's an unwritten rule somewhere saying that, but it's not true. Whatever you decide, good luck.:D

I did all three of mine in about 20 days... If you read the reg's they do the first under 141 and it is usually the II. It is quick and painless if your instrument current and more importantly capable. Then the airplane or MEI will be next as the add on ratings are under 61 and less stringent.

That does not mean you are any less of a CFI, it just means they found the few loopholes in the system.

The 30 day gig for the CFI-A is really beacuse of the work involved. You take that and put it towards the CFII and the work load on the aplicant is less than 1/2, hence the reason they can do it in 15 days.

I will admit 15 days is tight, but if you are current, all of your written's are done (another loophole is get a IGI or AGI first, it makes the intial oral a little easier), it can be done but I would ask 2 questions...
1 what is the bust rate
2 how long does the "average" aplicant take? is it 15 days or are they more in the 20-30 day range.

Regardless, get the CFI, it is a valuable ticket and you will get pleasure out of it. I also do hope you get a twin otter job, but with low time I agree insurance companies will think twice before signing off on you!.

Best of luck!

I did the 15 day program at ATP in Phoenix. If you have had some multi flight time then you won't have a problem.

Lets be clear about one thing. The 15 day program requires that you arrive with all written tests completed and your lesson plans completed !!!! This is really the bulk of the CFI, CFII, MEI program. The flying really isn't that big of a deal.

At ATP I did the CFI initial in the seminole and then a seperate ride for the single engine add on in a 172 and then the CFII was completed in the 172 also. Different locations handle it differently but it all gets done.

Regarding FSI and Embry Riddle. I did check out there programs and they are very thorough but also very expensive. Like everything else talk to those who have utilized each program and then decide how much money you want to spend.

Good Luck

rjcap

Rjcap question for you:

I'm going to take all three exams, can you tell me more about the lesson plans?

I have to call ATP and get the packages sent to me. I'm current, just finishing at FSI. I have a little over 50 hours in the PA-44 so the flying I'm not worried about. Can you tell me more about the lesson plans? I have an MBA in finance so I do not think lesson plans will be hard, just a pain in the as*. Can you shade some light?

--thanks

Sean,

50 hours in the seminole will be just fine. The lesson plans are basically a pain in the ass. A very helpful guide would be the Flight Instructors Handbook that is sold by Sporty's. I beleieve it has a white cover, spiral bound and has a picture of a white Commander 114 on the cover.

I would start writing these pronto just to get them done. They are beneficial in the fact you will be writing about the maneuvers you perform as an instructor.

As far as the written tests the King series of test prep books, or Gleim or ASA, will help you slide through with ease.

What ATP location are you looking at ??

Latest resources

Back