Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jergar999

Excerpt from 14 CFR Part 135:

(b) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, during any 24 consecutive hours the total flight time of the assigned flight when added to any other commercial flying by that flight crewmember may not exceed—

(1) 8 hours for a flight crew consisting of one pilot; or

(2) 10 hours for a flight crew consisting of two pilots qualified under this part for the operation being conducted.

(c) A flight crewmember's flight time may exceed the flight time limits of paragraph (b) of this section if the assigned flight time occurs during a regularly assigned duty period of no more than 14 hours and—

(1) If this duty period is immediately preceded by and followed by a required rest period of at least 10 consecutive hours of rest;

(2) If flight time is assigned during this period, that total flight time when added to any other commercial flying by the flight crewmember may not exceed—

(i) 8 hours for a flight crew consisting of one pilot; or

(ii) 10 hours for a flight crew consisting of two pilots; and

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but doesn't is say in legalease that you can't exceed 10 hours for a two pilot crew unless it falls within a 14 hour duty day and doesn't exceed ten hours? This really has me scratching my head. I am studying for my six month ride and no amount of reading and re-reading this section brings clarity.

Read into it assigned, if it is reasonable and assigned it is legal to go, if there are unforeseen delays you may go over the 14 hours. The old adage legal to start legal to finish applies here If you are too fatigued and cannot safely do the trip you call fatigue.

10 hours

You cannot be assigned to anything over 10 hours, but if you are delayed due to weather, etc. beyond 10 hours it's not your fault and you can complete your mission, but now you must get a minimum of 10 hours rest. I think that's the part you're not getting!

Yip,
I know of you high aviation knowledge, but in indoc our DO said there is no way to bust 14 hrs duty day. He says that if you are expecting any delay that will put you over 14 you must cancel. Is he wrong? Just curious cuz now I am lost.

Expecting?

If you plan it for under 14 hours, but are expecting a delay to put you over 14 hours, that would be a known delay and not legal. You can not plan over 14 hours, but if the delay is unexpected then you are legal to start you are legal to finish, that is 135, 121 is different. We have been doing it for over 15 years, never a problem with the Feds.

Last edited:
The ten hours is flying time. I don't know from reading your post what you are trying to determine. Duty day, or flight time? In any case, there are smarter guys than me that can answer your legalese.

It seems to me like paragraph (b) says that you can fly more than 10 hours in 14 duty as long as it doesn't exceed 10 hours (per paragraph (c)).

The extended rest requirements for going over the 14 are covered in the next section.

Maybe to add some clarity, this all started with the question: "Can you fly more than 10 hours if it falls within a 14 hour duty day?"

Maybe I can muddy the waters. you have "fly more than 10 hours in 14 duty as long as it doesn't exceed 10 hours" but it should be "you cant exceed 10 hours of flight (2 pilot) in any consecutive _24_ unless the excess occurs in a regularly scheduled 14 hour duty period proceeded by 10 consecutive hours of rest. Ex:you are scheduled for duty from 1200-0200z on the 1st and 1200-0200z on the 2nd. 0n the 1st your fly 10 hours of flight. the flight ends at 0100z on the second.you then get your 10 hours of rest. you go at on duty 1200z on the second. you fly a 10 hour leg from 1300z-2300z . your have now flown 11 hours in 24 consecutive hours. you gohome and get 10 more consecutive hours of rest. You are legal because you had 10 consecutive hours of rest between your 2 regularly scheduled 14 hour duty periods. I'm not sure how the feds look it... but one key phrase is "regularly scheduled" some of us (Air ambulance) are on call 24/7 and therefore aren't necessarily "regularly scheduled."

Guys, I have witnessed 3 FAA Inspectors almost come to blows over the interpretation of this one Reg. So, like always, they expect US to know all the regs but they themselves can't figure this mumbo jumbo out! It seems to be in the eye of the beholder.
The truth of the matter is, in REAL life, twisting and bending regs is a matter of fact in the pursuit of THE MONEY, THE MONEY, THE MONEY!
I could be wrong; but that's what I've seen for 20 years.

over 14 duty time...dont do it...i dont care if its planned or unplanned...dont do it.

same goes for 10 hours of flight...sounds simplistic i know, but keeps everything nice and legal :)

Latest resources

Back