• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

135 reg question..................

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You will have to be typed and remain current on the aircraft as chief pilot. So plan on being in school twice a year. Also there is a lot of BS involved with a 135 cert. I would find out if it is a basic or full certificate that will effect the amount of work dramatically.

Yup....they pay for all that.

Its a full certificate, they were doing charter last year quite a bit. The boss just doesn't want to anymore.

Last CP pilot said he basically does nothing, except show up for 10-15 flights a year. No office hours, nothing. Plane sits in the hangar when not used by the owner.

Last edited:
This is not uncommon for owners looking to dodge tax liability for Non-Commercial
Aircraft use many states in the union levy. Technically, you have to take a charter
periodically to satisfy recency of operations where some CHDO's do not view
perpetual Part 91 to satisfy those requirements. Check with the POI assigned to the
certificate and the Manager. POI's are contract employees and subject to attrition
while District/Regional Management tend to offer more long term stability.
If you are in it for the short term financial gain and the POI is on board, cash the
checks and ensure it stays a "clean" operation as many have suggested already.

100-1/2

You dont have to ever fly a trip...ever. All you need is an airworthy plane and a current crew. You won't get in trouble for anything since the airplane isnt flown on a any part 135 legs.

A few years back I was in the exact scenario you described, Kinda a nice gig.

You dont have to ever fly a trip...ever. All you need is an airworthy plane and a current crew. You won't get in trouble for anything since the airplane isnt flown on a any part 135 legs.

A few years back I was in the exact scenario you described, Kinda a nice gig.

Not true:

119.63 Recency of operation.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no certificate holder may conduct a kind of operation for which it holds authority in its operations specifications unless the certificate holder has conducted that kind of operation within the preceding number of consecutive calendar days specified in this paragraph:
(1) For domestic, flag, or commuter operations—30 days.
(2) For supplemental or on-demand operations—90 days, except that if the certificate holder has authority to conduct domestic, flag, or commuter operations, and has conducted domestic, flag or commuter operations within the previous 30 days, this paragraph does not apply.
(b) If a certificate holder does not conduct a kind of operation for which it is authorized in its operations specifications within the number of calendar days specified in paragraph (a) of this section, it shall not conduct such kind of operation unless—
(1) It advises the Administrator at least 5 consecutive calendar days before resumption of that kind of operation; and
(2) It makes itself available and accessible during the 5 consecutive calendar day period in the event that the FAA decides to conduct a full inspection reexamination to determine whether the certificate holder remains properly and adequately equipped and able to conduct a safe operation.

I think the biggest issue with this type of operation is going back and forth between 91 and 135 with the aircraft. Once you fly a trip part 91 there is mx requirements to get the airplane back 135 current. Just like everything else part 135, it is a pain in the @ss.

I think the biggest issue with this type of operation is going back and forth between 91 and 135 with the aircraft. Once you fly a trip part 91 there is mx requirements to get the airplane back 135 current. Just like everything else part 135, it is a pain in the @ss.

The only difference in CFR 135 vs. 91 maintenace is that under CFR 135, you must comply with mandatory service bulletins. Under CFR 91, madatory SB's are not required, but they are a step away from becoming an AD. If an aircraft is properly maintained IAW the Ch 5 of the MM, then it would not have any problem going on a 135 certificate.

You can fly a 135 aircraft without 135 current crews on 91 trips. Example, the crew does not have a current .297. They are still legal to fly under 91. However, the aircraft must always be maintained to 135 standards.

If I go fly a 91 trip for my boss, there are no special mx requirements to bring the aircraft back into compliance with 135. So long as the jet is always maintained to 135 standards.

Really, where do people come up with these types of statements????

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back