135 in the Seattle area

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

poor2thecore

I did a search and came up with a couple companies, although they were older posts. Does anyone know of any 135 companies in the Seattle area, or in the PNW in general?

Thanks!

Ya, I was looking into Kenmore, if I could get it, I'd love to get on with their land-based Caravan operation, but I hear they are operating that with a 2 person crew, kind of bets the purpose of the whole 135 single pilot deal.

Would Ameriflight still be a good idea if I wanted to fly 135 for no more than a year, and my plan was to eventually go to a 121 regional (Horizon), then onto a major from there.

I was this idea in my head to go to a smaller 135 operator and get some single pilot IFR and get out. Do you think going to Ameriflight for 6 months to a year then a regional like Horizon would a good idea?

I may be overthinking it a bit too.

Ya, I was looking into Kenmore, if I could get it, I'd love to get on with their land-based Caravan operation, but I hear they are operating that with a 2 person crew, kind of bets the purpose of the whole 135 single pilot deal..
Kind of. If you have less than 100 hours in the Caravan and your flying IFR, you need an FO. After you get your 100, its mostly single pilot. Occasionally an FO will ride with you, but 75% of the time, your alone.

Oh, that's not bad at all.

I take it, your doing the Kenmore thing. How do you like it? Do you think it's a pretty good gig for a single guy just getting out of the CFI lifestyle, with about 1200TT, and looking for a place for about 6-8 months to build some time before applying to a regional like Horizon?

Thanks!

I wouldn't recommend any place to a guy only looking for a job for 6-8 months.

And people wonder why some low budget operators make you sign a training contract to fly a single or piston twin...

Signed,
XXXXX XXXXXXXX
Chief Pilot, medium sized 135 operator in the PNW

Ya, Probably not a temp thing,,, at least not 6-8 months.. If you wanted something before a regional, I'd look into Airpac or one of the 135 freight operators at the airport.. Plus you'd get multi, which always helps for a regional.

Ameriflight wants 12 month commitment

I was flying with Ameriflight in Portland and Seattle, and am now in SLC. New trainees are required to sign a 12 month integrity comitment. You will probably not get into their BFI station, but they always need Chieftain Captains in PDX. You are not expected to repay your training, but if you bail early you will get a "no rehire" recomendation when you put AMF on your references.

I have run into number of Aeroflight pilots while working in the Northwest. They seem pretty happy. The company seems very laid back at least compared to Amerflight. They have an 8 month integrity contract and after 8 months you ask for days off to interview, you get the days off with the companys blessing. They expect pilots to leave after 8 months, as there is nowhere to move up with them (only PA31s and C402, and C421s). I have talked to two of their pilots, one who was applying to Skywest, and another who was applying to Ameriflight to get into a turbine equipped aircraft. If you plan on being around for a while Ameriflight has lots of room to move up.

I have also looked into Kenmore, as I would like to live in Seattle, and Alaskan is not impressed with my resume yet. I believe they have limited openings in the land based Caravans and are looking to more long term employees. If you had your seaplane rating and a bunch of hours you would be in better shape with Kenmore.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back