• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

135 in the Seattle area

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have also looked into Kenmore, as I would like to live in Seattle, and Alaskan is not impressed with my resume yet. I believe they have limited openings in the land based Caravans and are looking to more long term employees. If you had your seaplane rating and a bunch of hours you would be in better shape with Kenmore.

Maybe they aren't impressed because you don't even know the name of their company.

If I were the chief pilot at ALASKA Airlines and saw your resume stating your desire to work for ALASKAN Airlines, I'd take your name and place it in the "never hire this guy" file.

GP

I was flying with Ameriflight in Portland and Seattle, and am now in SLC. New trainees are required to sign a 12 month integrity comitment. You will probably not get into their BFI station, but they always need Chieftain Captains in PDX. You are not expected to repay your training, but if you bail early you will get a "no rehire" recomendation when you put AMF on your references.

I have run into number of Aeroflight pilots while working in the Northwest. They seem pretty happy. The company seems very laid back at least compared to Amerflight. They have an 8 month integrity contract and after 8 months you ask for days off to interview, you get the days off with the companys blessing. They expect pilots to leave after 8 months, as there is nowhere to move up with them (only PA31s and C402, and C421s). I have talked to two of their pilots, one who was applying to Skywest, and another who was applying to Ameriflight to get into a turbine equipped aircraft. If you plan on being around for a while Ameriflight has lots of room to move up.

I have also looked into Kenmore, as I would like to live in Seattle, and Alaskan is not impressed with my resume yet. I believe they have limited openings in the land based Caravans and are looking to more long term employees. If you had your seaplane rating and a bunch of hours you would be in better shape with Kenmore.

I see. That's what I figured from a larger company like AMF. I could see many going there and staying there for a good portion of their career. I'm just interested in doing 135 single-pilot flying to build up ME time, as well as confidence before eventually applying to a regional such as Horizon. Being that this would be in the PNW, I'd get plenty of experience before I even got to a regional.

So we'll see.

Thanks for the spelling lesson, when I do apply I will make sure to add the N to the end of Alaskan. I will also make sure not to apply with my screen name since "The Refugee" is now on their no hire list. As my current turbine time is at 8 I doubt they would be impressed even if I could spell their name right.

Since I am not sure who will still be around 2 years from now when I am hireable, I have not started looking too seriously yet. I will make sure I do some research and spell checking before my resume goes out though.

Maybe they aren't impressed because you don't even know the name of their company.

If I were the chief pilot at ALASKA Airlines and saw your resume stating your desire to work for ALASKAN Airlines, I'd take your name and place it in the "never hire this guy" file.

GP

<<<Kind of. If you have less than 100 hours in the Caravan and your flying IFR, you need an FO. After you get your 100, its mostly single pilot. Occasionally an FO will ride with you, but 75% of the time, your alone.>>>

Just to clarify it's IMC, not IFR.... Also to clarify, flying with an FO in a Caravan is maybe the lamest form of a flight crew in existance.....

Do a search for Kenmore if you want the real scoop, been there done that.

Funny story about the ALASKAN airlines thing.

I interviewed (and got the job) last summer and one of my buddies who was furloughed from United wrote Alaskan on my LOR. During the interview the HR person, lovely lady, stopped me mid sentence while I was answering a question about circling approaches on whether or not I had reviewed my paperwork prior to the interview. as the bricks were dropping from my ass, I somehow mumbled, "um...yeah...I think so..." she smiled and said, "We are AlaskA airlines...AlaskaN is a brewery up in Juneau." hilarity ensued and I was able to get my balls out of my throat....

true story...
Mookie

I wouldn't recommend any place to a guy only looking for a job for 6-8 months.

And people wonder why some low budget operators make you sign a training contract to fly a single or piston twin...

Signed,
XXXXX XXXXXXXX
Chief Pilot, medium sized 135 operator in the PNW

Start paying your pilots more than a living wage, and they won't try to jump off to a better place too soon. Eventually, they all will. Only those would stay who couldn't go to airlines or better 135/91 flying.

My two cents, Mr. CP!

Bunny

GP

One day perhaps, the most intelligent pilots on this board would come to a realization, that the internet, especially blogs/forums is not based on 'FORMAL' communications! Repeat after me: NOT A FORMAL PLACE FOR COMMUNICATION!

With your attitude, you my friend would NEVER be an 'ALASKAN' OR 'ALASKA AIRLINES' chief pilot.

And, once you sober up and read the post again, you'd realize that person meant Alaska Airlines. You'd be the stupidest CP there ever was if you would simply throw away someone's resume for that mistake. For me, I would like to know how good that pilot is. What if she/he was one of the best pilots there ever was? You'd miss a good one...wouldn't ya?

There is a story of a Swedish pilot my employer hired in October who spelled our company's name wrong and even his own name wrong on the resume. English is not is first language...he's now flying an A320.

I rest my case!

While you go and try to find something on someone that would help you constrict your arteries.

Bunny

FlyBunny,

While I totally agree with you...I can guarantee you that exact thing has happened to candidates who were probably well qualified. I assume that it shows that person doesn't pay attention to detail enough to spell the company's name...not that I agree with it, but when you have a stack of resume's that all look alike, I'd probably also toss out the one that got that detail wrong. fft.

Mookie

There is a story of a Swedish pilot my employer hired in October who spelled our company's name wrong and even his own name wrong on the resume. English is not is first language...he's now flying an A320.

It wouldn't happen to have a blue tail on it, would it?

C

Sorry Bunny, but you will notice I never said my company had a hard time keeping pilots, or that our pay was low, or that any of our pilots were leaving for "airlines or better 135/91 flying".

My point was to the young man that started this thread. Saying "I'm looking for a job for 6-8 months to build twin/turbine time so I can jump off to some other job" may not impress some potential employers. MOST, not all, but most companies would not hire you if they thought you were going to leave them in 8 months. Why should they? All the time, effort and cost to train a new pilot, just for them to up and leave? No thanks.

Start paying your pilots more than a living wage, and they won't try to jump off to a better place too soon. Eventually, they all will. Only those would stay who couldn't go to airlines or better 135/91 flying.

My two cents, Mr. CP!

Bunny

Latest resources

Back