135 duty times... again

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
you have no idea

Why don't you just say: "bend or break the regs if it's in the companies best interest."
You have no idea of what you are talking about. That is not the way we operate. You can ask any current or former crewmember and they will support, it is not the way we operate. No one has received a violation at USA Jet in the 10 years I have been here. We have saved over half dozen pilots from certificate surrendering actions for stupid mistakes the pilot made in violation of company policy. The company stands up for its pilots every time there is even a hint of FAA certificate action. We take extraordinary steps to ensure we operate safely inside the limits established by the FAR’s. Our safety record speaks for itself.

Ok yip, maybe that was a low blow. However I'd like you to read your post and try your hardest to pretend that you didn't know who wrote it. What would you think?

Do you think it's appropriate for the "company" to take interpreting the regs. away from the pilots while the company has so many motives (read profit) to lean away from safety?

Now I'm NOT saying that's what your company does because I don't know anything about your company. But if you look at the your quote like I did (not knowing the person or company who wrote it) I doubt it wouldn't smell fishy to you either.

The FAA allows this to be the standard. There are no rulings to the contrary. There is a slide in our Interview Presentation. It says to make it through probation, you must, 1. Show up on time, 2. Demonstrate you are reasonable to work with, and 3. Work with the company. Work with the company means, we interpolate the regs. If a pilot does not like how we interpolate the regs. There probably not a good fit for employment. You will probably find different opinions

Yip... I wasn't trying to pick on you. I'm looking for a reference so that if someone asks I can show them a FAR and say, "here it says..." That's why I ask for a specific reference.

I see legal to start legal to finish means once in-flight you don't have to divert to avoid exceeding limitations. Departing with the knowledge you will exceed a rest/duty/flight limit seems against the spirit of the FARs, unless there is an exemption.

135.267 (d)

135.267. (d) The key word is assignment and planned, you can not be assigned a trip unless by its planned, note planned, completion, that there are 10 hrs of rest in the 24 preceding the planned completion. To determine a planned completion time, we add 15 minutes per leg to our computerized flight plans, plus 1-2 hours delay on the ground depending upon the pick up poinit to determine if the assigned trip can be completed in the 14 hours of duty.

Last edited:
people can interpret the regs anyway they want but it doesn't make them right. pilotyip wants to make it home no matter what and his company backs that then that is fine... again doesn't make them right... legal to start legal to finish begins from the wheels starting their roll to finally stopping at their destination... after that a new flight will begin and any delay on the ground before taxi is controllable by the operator/pilot by not starting the engines in the first place...

planned desintation

legal to start legal to finish begins from the wheels starting their roll to finally stopping at their destination... after that a new flight will begin and any delay on the ground before taxi is controllable by the operator/pilot by not starting the engines in the first place...
That is right legal to start, legal to go to destination on the assigned trip. You can not start second trip unless it also can be planned to be complete in 14 hours set by the start of the first trip.

people can interpret the regs anyway they want but it doesn't make them right. pilotyip wants to make it home no matter what and his company backs that then that is fine... again doesn't make them right... legal to start legal to finish begins from the wheels starting their roll to finally stopping at their destination... after that a new flight will begin and any delay on the ground before taxi is controllable by the operator/pilot by not starting the engines in the first place...

Legal to start legal to finish has nothing at all to do with making it home. If your empty you just part 91 it home as long as your not fatigued your not breaking any rules. No company can ask you to part 91 it home, its strictly at pilot discretion. I still can't believe that we are all having this discussion again.

That is right legal to start, legal to go to destination on the assigned trip. You can not start second trip unless it also can be planned to be complete in 14 hours set by the start of the first trip.

The key word here is TRIP.

Work with the company means, we interpolate the regs. If a pilot does not like how we interpolate the regs. There probably not a good fit for employment. You will probably find different opinions

I'm not seeking employment with USA Jet, but looks like I'm not welcome there anyway. You don't get to interpret regulation any more than most FAA employees do; that's the job of the FAA regional and chief legal counsel.

Working with the company means the employees do what you tell them, in the way you tell them, including abiding by the regulation as you see fit...or the employee is down the road.

You see, the concept of pilot in command, and even second in command, doesn't mean that the company walks into the cockpit and dictates the regulations that the pilot can read with his own two eyes.

Don't worry what the regulation says boys. We'll tell you what it says, you can trust us. We'll back you up.

If I had a nickle for every time I'd heard that. I'd be two less attempted FAA actions down, if the employers had really meant it. Or had the ability to live up to it.

I'll tell you what...when I'm PIC, or in that cockpit in any capacity with my certificate earning that paycheck, I'll tell you what the regulation means. Work with the company? You work with me. If you can't do that, then find someone else to pilot the airplane, because I'll be gone fast enough you think you saw a ghost.

Latest resources

Back