135 Career

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AirMugsy

Hey everyone. Just joined this site, great stuff here. I'm working my ass off to get 135 mins right now, and hopefully will be there in about two months.
Are there people out there who want to fly 135 cargo for a career, or do most want to use it as a step to something else? I was at AMF for a FO training thing, and loved that type of flying. It seems like most people out there want to aim for something else (airlines or charter), but is there anyone like me who would be happy with a career of flying checks/cargo, night, sp IFR? Or am I crazy? haha
Thanks
-Sean

I know several people who have chosen to stay with 135 operators and make a good living. Do most people plan it that way? I don't think that is the case. The key is to decide where you want to end up, and then do what it takes to get there. Many of the people I mentioned don't want to or can't take the pay cut to go to another company, even though their earning potential is greater in the long run. I guess it comes down to what is really important to you (family/lifestyle vs. career). At the moment I'd wager you only have yourself to worry about. A few years down the road that could all change and moving on could require considerable changes in your life, or be financially impossible based on the lifestyle you have chosen. It is possible to make a decent living in most areas of aviation. If flying 135 freight is what you want, then go with it. If you are thinking of working for a 135 company to move on to bigger things, some planning wll be necessary to make that a viable option.

AirMugsy said:
It seems like most people out there want to aim for something else (airlines or charter), but is there anyone like me who would be happy with a career of flying checks/cargo, night, sp IFR? Or am I crazy? haha
Thanks
-Sean

I think as you move along your career path you will find that your goals and aspirations will change. What is satisfying today may not be in 5 or 10 years. Keep that in mind when you make your choices and you will be fine. There are good and bad aspects to all jobs and no one has a crystal ball.:)

AirMugsy said:
Thats very true. I appreciate the advice.
I would say to at least try a regional before settling on working in 135 for a career. At least then you'll have a chance to experience it and get it out of your system and it will give you a better perspective.

When I left a good paying and secure factory job to get into flying, my goal was to find something that paid as much or more than what I made there, with a better schedule, some flying adventure and a better quality of life. I think I have found that job at the 135 operation I fly at now.

If something really screwed up happened to my schedule or if there was a "regime" change for the worse at work, I would attempt to bid for a better run or quitely research my options somewhere else. But for now, I'm quite content with my current cargo job and have been there going on five years. We have quite a few guys that have made 15 years with the company.

I don't think you have to go to a commuter to feel good about yourself. From the 135 cargo end of aviation its fairly easy to transition into a 2 man crew 121 environment. That can lead to transcontinental widebody flying. That in my opinion is the ultimate in flying.

The other option is that you figure out that flying around with other people really is'nt there cup of tea. Those people hang out in the 135 single pilot end. It is quite an admirable end of aviation, and I have nothing but respect for those people who actively work that end of aviation.
I have been in the single pilot 135 end, and the 2 man crew 121 side. I have just been hired into the widebody transoceanic work. I did this without ever getting into an RJ, or flying a passenger. There is nothing wrong with this, its just not appealing to me to fly in an RJ, or wear my rent a cop outfit in the terminal.
I guess my rambling is just saying do what you want, and just enjoy whatever end of aviation you end up in. In my experience, when work is no longer fun, get out. Theres to much variety in aviation to get bored, or work for a company you hate. In my opinion, whatever end of aviation you are end is the coolest end in aviation. Remember that an all will be good.

I appreciate all the advice. Luckily I'm not tied down anywhere, other than my spoiled dog, so Im open to moving anywhere, well, at least somewhere with some excitement to it. Who knows where I'll be in the future, as long as I'm behind the yoke of something.

Latest resources

Back