1261 days to go!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From the Wall Street Journal

(WSJ)Airline travel is now the safest it has been since the dawn of jet planes, with the global airline industry set to mark its lowest rate of fatal accidents since the early 1960s.

The U.S. hasn't had a fatal accident since a commuter plane crashed near Buffalo, N.Y., in 2009.

Experience Counts[/QUOTE

Nah. It's the technology.

No there isn't, the expereinced will be replaced by inexpereinced. When that AAL CA with 10K of MD-80 PIC time retires, he will be replaced by someone with no MD-80 PIC time, who has been sitting the right seat of a &&& for 10 years. The same applies to every major airline out there, the junior equipmnet PIC will be most likely replaced by the senior equipment SIC

It's not rocket science, and all those guys with 10k hours of MD-80 SIC waiting to move up are more than ready. The military is flush with guys that have 10 years of combat/pic time, just waiting for movement to begin as well.

Whataburger: Can you tell me where a guy hired in Apr of 04 would be right now seniority wise and what the impact of the AT merger would have on them? I think I can figure out how bad the age change was.

Thanks,

FJ

It's not rocket science, and all those guys with 10k hours of MD-80 SIC waiting to move up are more than ready. The military is flush with guys that have 10 years of combat/pic time, just waiting for movement to begin as well.
But not time as a MD-80 PIC, hence a lowering of experience in the cockpit. Good chance to be flying with a new hire also. Again a loss of experience in the cockpit that has made the last five years the safest in airline history.

From the Wall Street Journal

(WSJ)Airline travel is now the safest it has been since the dawn of jet planes, with the global airline industry set to mark its lowest rate of fatal accidents since the early 1960s.

The U.S. hasn't had a fatal accident since a commuter plane crashed near Buffalo, N.Y., in 2009.

Experience Counts[/QUOTE

Nah. It's the technology.

+1

GPWS TAWS + TCAS

But not time as a MD-80 PIC, hence a lowering of experience in the cockpit. Good chance to be flying with a new hire also. Again a loss of experience in the cockpit that has made the last five years the safest in airline history.

If 10k hours of sic is so dangerous, your operation should be raining aluminum on a weekly basis.

If you think that being stuck in the right seat for 10+ years because of slow growth somehow means that the ultra high-time FO is somehow of "lower experience", then I have to laugh.

Take a carrier like USAir where the most junior FOs had over a decade on property.

You could have had every captain quit, every FO upgrade, and replace every FO with an EXPERIENCED regional pilot and still be immensely safer than most regionals with their low time new hires.

At a certain point, the PIC/SIC argument becomes moot.

But maybe it takes someone with a college degree to actually understand those kinds of sophisticated concepts, so perhaps I am expecting too much...

But maybe it takes someone with a college degree to actually understand those kinds of sophisticated concepts, so perhaps I am expecting too much...
Nope just shows you the depth of insight from someone with a Master's Degree.

Yip-

You could retire half the current captains from almost any legacy with no real change in safety. There is a point of diminishing returns on any kind of experience, yes, even PIC time.

You conveniently try to use "experience", which is a very nebulous concept to justify a bunch of cowardly old men stealing off another man's plate.

Whatever. I bet the average legacy FO could fly rings around you.

Latest resources

Back