• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

1261 days to go!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wouldn't be surprised if the following happens given the track record of this government dealing with issues related to aviation.

1) Management blames pilots on the pilot shortage

2) Retirement age is eliminated completely

3) President of the US agrees and has the authority of the PEB rewritten to allow Government the ability to make pilot retirements illegal and punishable by jail time. At most carriers these days, what's the difference between time in jail or stuck at a major airport... cept tax free food in jail.

Age 70 being talked about already.

Something about a world wide
shortage of experienced pilots.

HA! Now that IS funny. The old geezers would luv that-just bid fo until your 70 and make as much $ as you can. I always thought the new slogan should be "fly till your 65 then be dead by 70" Hey you can't take the $ with you. The poor Egyptians didn't learn that either. :rolleyes:

What are you going to do? Let the co-pilot have all the legs. Tell them you feel there pain. Your still taking some ones upgrade.I'am sure it will make them feel better. What a joke.

Bro. You might want to step off. I'm 42. I "got mine" because I upgraded before the fecal material hit that fan. I try to be compassionate because the FO's have every right to be frustrated with the lack of growth or even negative growth. I'm lucky to be signing the release. Them....... not so much and no hope in sight - except for the GEEZER METER.

Why do you think I try so hard to keep it up to date?

You can say you're sorry now.
Gup

p.s. BTW it's now 983

Don't aim that loaded gun over here. Point it toward Herndon, Va.
Equally incorrect. Blame ICAO and the FAA's efforts to bring our rules in line with theirs. Age 65 was going to happen no matter what our union did so the Executive Board (the MEC reps from each airline) had the choice to 1) stay outside and throw rocks like the APA or 2) work with the Feds in order to mitigate the change as much as possible. Those changes included these:
[FONT=ARIAL,]Ensuring that, under a defined benefit retirement plan, a change to the Age 60 Rule will not reduce a participant’s or beneficiary’s accrued benefit nor reduce a benefit to which a participant or beneficiary would have been entitled without enactment of such a change to the Rule.

Opposing any additional age-related diagnostic medical testing.

Opposing any attempt by the FAA to obtain greater access to pilot medical records.

Supporting FAA Air Surgeon Tilton’s recommendation to require a 1st Class Medical certification every six months for pilots over age 60.

Opposing for domestic operation the implementation of the ICAO standard that at least one pilot in the cockpit be under age 60. Once sufficient data on pilots over age 60 becomes available, unless the necessity for this mitigation for the long term is clearly shown, advocate for removal of the ICAO over/under mitigation for all operations.

Support the ability of a pilot to retire prior to the mandatory age without penalty.

The Board charged that ALPA continue to aggressively lobby for the adoption of the Akaka bill (which would provide full PBGC benefits to pilots who retire at age 60).
[/FONT]
It was definitely a choice of picking the lesser of two evils, but I think our union reps made the right call. While it's easy to quite the process, stand outside and throw rocks while declaring a moral victory, it's better, IMHO, to stay with the process, work to help the membership as much as possible instead of letting the FAA and the ATA/RAA implement the change to their own liking.

Last edited:
Yes I'am sorry you called me bro. What you from the hood, or just trying to be hip. GUP. You just don't get IT. You are going to work pass 60 being compassionate won't pay the bills of the pilots who are stuck in the right seat.

Yes I'am sorry you called me bro. What you from the hood, or just trying to be hip. GUP. You just don't get IT. You are going to work pass 60 being compassionate won't pay the bills of the pilots who are stuck in the right seat.

Have you ever read any of my musings on this topic?

Son, I fly for money. Not for fun. The sooner I make it the sooner I'm outta here. One wife and a reasonable mortage. I'll leave bag dragging at 70 to you.

The only reason I might stay is to give all my flying away and pick up sequences with you.

Gup

... and pick up sequences with you.

Gup

With all due respect, what's a sequence? Is this like a Jeff Foxworthy thing?

Sequence - General Lee used to glue sequence to his jean jacket before the badazzaler was invented.

Or for Jennifer Love Hewett - the vagaziller.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back