• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

1261 days to go!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Respond with name calling doesn't make your case at all. I am simply going with the facts I know. I don't think Alaska had 40-60 guys saved by age 65 in the first 90 days it was in force. Maybe there was a "bubble" of guys at the front that made an impact on the furlough number? Crew planning people I have spoken to on the subject have said that since you don't have 50-200 pilots immediately stay on the property, it works as if it were "phased-in."
I hate to see anyone furloughed. Lived through that a couple of times and wouldn't wish it on anyone. Did 65 have zero effect? Of course not, but of the 6-8 things that play into a furlough, it is at or near the bottom of the list.

I hate to see anyone furloughed. Lived through that a couple of times and wouldn't wish it on anyone. Did 65 have zero effect? Of course not, but of the 6-8 things that play into a furlough, it is at or near the bottom of the list.

There's at least 6 or 8 things that can cause a pilot to lose retirement savings. Yet that's the biggest reason for 65. Does 65 keep retirement monies safe? No, not really, just transferred wealth from many young pilots to a few old ones. More pilots will be exposed longer to the almost infinite number of things that can end this career. Not to mention the thousands that took the immediate hit. Whole thing is a damn waste.

Question: SWA is suppose to be some special place. You got several thousand pilots morbidly flat spotted while you're carrying on like a hog at the trough. You ever feel like an ass for potentially poisoning the well? Is Herb happy with you old guys?

Last edited:
There's at least 6 or 8 things that can cause a pilot to lose retirement savings. Yet that's the biggest reason for 65. Does 65 keep retirement monies safe? No, not really, just transferred wealth from many young pilots to a few old ones. More pilots will be exposed longer to the almost infinite number of things that can end this career. Not to mention the thousands that took the immediate hit. Whole thing is a damn waste.

Question: SWA is suppose to be some special place. You got several thousand pilots morbidly flat spotted while you're carrying on like a hog at the trough. You ever feel like an ass for potentially poisoning the well? Is Herb happy with you old guys?

I don't regard 65 as a remedy to any shortfall in retirement savings. It is simply a much less discriminatory forced retirement age.

I am in my 40s still, so still uncertain if I will gain from 65. Just now making it into my drivable domicile where I cannot hold many holidays off.

Herb lobbied for the change, so I suspect he is happy, but I have not asked or heard him asked specifically.

The average baby boomer will have recieved over $350,000 in government benefits over their entire lives. The average <20 year old (to include the following generation not born yet) will be -$440,000 in benefits over their life. Nothing new.

Latest resources

Back