• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

1261 days to go!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As each day goes by these old bustards are becomming more difficult to fly with. They can't hear and fall to sleep every ten minutes, not to mention how many times I have to pick up radio calls for this over 60 bunch. I know I won;t hurt any feelings, I don't think any of these guys know how to use a computer.

But I'm bettin' they could have flown out of a stall, which the Colgan and Air France crews could not and did not. Hard to program a computer when you are falling out of the sky.

Just sayin'

But I'm bettin' they could have flown out of a stall, which the Colgan and Air France crews could not and did not. Hard to program a computer when you are falling out of the sky.

Just sayin'

Somebody drank a big 'ol cup of bitter this AM. Enjoy your retirement.

Somebody drank a big 'ol cup of bitter this AM. Enjoy your retirement.

????

There was no "bitter" in my above post. I have no desire to fly past 65; don't want to, don't need to, won't - and don't support any efforts or fantasies to further raise the retirement age.

Contrast that with your oft-repeated complaints that 65 (rather than the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression) caused your furlough from the anemic United; and your other oft- repeated (and wrong) contention that ALPA sold you down the river by 'supporting' 65.

Who plays the bitter fiddle? Me? Or you?

????

There was no "bitter" in my above post. I have no desire to fly past 65; don't want to, don't need to, won't - and don't support any efforts or fantasies to further raise the retirement age.

Contrast that with your oft-repeated complaints that 65 (rather than the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression) caused your furlough from the anemic United; and your other oft- repeated (and wrong) contention that ALPA sold you down the river by 'supporting' 65.

Who plays the bitter fiddle? Me? Or you?

Sure, sure. No bitter at all. That's freaking hilarious - you're a cartoonish dolt. You come on a thread that celebrates your retirement following the intergenerational theft that you and your ilk have perpetrated to imply that had there been a pilot over age 60 on the flight deck of Colgan and Air France, those accidents would not have occurred.
You ignore the CAMI data that shows accident rates per 100,000 hours flown increases when a pilot is above the age of 60. I suppose that something as basic as tune, identify and monitor in IFR conditions is something that the over 60 crowd can successfully accomplish. Nope; the 67 year old captain and 62 year old first officer couldn't even tune, identify and monitor. http://libraryonline.erau.edu/online-full-text/ntsb/aircraft-accident-briefs/AAB06-06.pdf

As far as you going quietly in the night at age 65, I don't believe you. Plenty of your type proclaimed that they'd only stay to 62 if the retirement age was raised. You and your ilk are sociopaths; not to be trusted.

If you think that the economic conditions caused my furlough rather than shutting down the training pipeline due to age 65, you are truly ignorant of the industry. With more than 250 pilots retiring per year, a training pipeline in excess of 500 pilots is required. When retirements cease, the training pipeline is not needed and is shut down. There's logic behind the phrase that 'airlines hire until they furlough'. It's due to opening and closing training pipelines. This isn't difficult stuff to grasp.

The fact that you come on this board and insult the very people who you have stolen from is despicable. Karma will eventually catch up to you.

Have a nice retirement; I'd hate to read about you being forced to be a CFI at UND (due to mismanaging your finances) and packing it in one day while being unable to recover from a basic maneuver in a C-150. If you need tips on how to live in a storage unit, I'll be happy to pass them on to you - I had the 'opportunity' to live in one for a couple of months.

Have a nice retirement; I'd hate to read about you being forced to be a CFI at UND (due to mismanaging your finances)

BINGO !!!

I've jumped with many a crew that fall into this category.
It's just that era they came up in.
Mortgage to the hilt and blame the system for their failure.

Sure, sure. No bitter at all. That's freaking hilarious - you're a cartoonish dolt.

"Cartoonish dolt?" That was a quick sprint to the bottom for you, Andy. You usually avoid to low road. The name-calling has left me devastated.

You come on a thread that celebrates your retirement following the intergenerational theft that you and your ilk have perpetrated to imply that had there been a pilot over age 60 on the flight deck of Colgan and Air France, those accidents would not have occurred.
Originally Posted by Plainsman
As each day goes by these old bustards are becomming more difficult to fly with. They can't hear and fall to sleep every ten minutes, not to mention how many times I have to pick up radio calls for this over 60 bunch. I know I won;t hurt any feelings, I don't think any of these guys know how to use a computer.
No, Andy. I posted on the thread because Plainsman indulged himself in yet another childish post about older pilots being incompetent and unable to function in the cockpit due to ineptitude and sleep issues. MY post pushed back with an ironic pimp of my own - that while not all those sleepy and deaf pilots may have lightning fast computer skills that generation DOES have solid basic FLYING skills. The crashes I cited are why new training guidelines have gone out re FLYING, as opposed to computing.

All pilots fall into all sorts of categories, as we all well know. You missed the irony of my post. Do you see a reason why Plainsman can ding older pilots but an older pilot cannot ding him back, in making a point?

You ignore the CAMI data that shows accident rates per 100,000 hours flown increases when a pilot is above the age of 60. I suppose that something as basic as tune, identify and monitor in IFR conditions is something that the over 60 crowd can successfully accomplish. Nope; the 67 year old captain and 62 year old first officer couldn't even tune, identify and monitor. http://libraryonline.erau.edu/online-full-text/ntsb/aircraft-accident-briefs/AAB06-06.pdf
I believe I pointed out, on another thread, that the CAMI study was badly flawed and was ultimately discredited and subsequently disavowed by the FAA. Only ALPA and APA were pushing it as valid, an action that stopped when the final chapter of that study was distributed by SWAPA and APAAD. ALPA and APA looked disengenuous and foolish. Do you not read that information, Andy? You said you and not seen it and I posted it for you.

As an aside, you often post as though you know this issue very well and quote sources from time to time. I can assure you, you are holding onto discredited and poor intell while treating it as Gospel, and your sources were wrong and bad.

As far as you going quietly in the night at age 65, I don't believe you. Plenty of your type proclaimed that they'd only stay to 62 if the retirement age was raised. You and your ilk are sociopaths; not to be trusted.
Well, I cannot help you if you are a distrustful soul. As I posted, there is not a peep on the Hill re a higher age. There is nothing there. I, as well as 98% if my peer group (the other 2% are far out in left field), is more than willing to leave well enough alone. I WILL, quietly and happily move on at 65. Fear not.

If you think that the economic conditions caused my furlough rather than shutting down the training pipeline due to age 65, you are truly ignorant of the industry. With more than 250 pilots retiring per year, a training pipeline in excess of 500 pilots is required. When retirements cease, the training pipeline is not needed and is shut down. There's logic behind the phrase that 'airlines hire until they furlough'. It's due to opening and closing training pipelines. This isn't difficult stuff to grasp.
I have no doubt that the lack of retirements shut off or slowed down movement through a training program. It also did not apply at some airlines and applied less at others. In any case, the base cause for all was the serious recession which stomped growth almost everywhere. That was unforeseen and just plain crappy for far too many. You happened to be at an airlines that had freakish contractual rules and minimal growth, so the effect was magnified. Sorry you were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The fact that you come on this board and insult the very people who you have stolen from is despicable. Karma will eventually catch up to you.

If people don't have the class to avoid trashing other people, they can expect to get a reaction. I reacted to Plainsman, while ignoring other similar posts. This thread is not anyone's private pool. Do unto others, yes? It's Sunday. Think about it.

Have a nice retirement; I'd hate to read about you being forced to be a CFI at UND (due to mismanaging your finances) and packing it in one day while being unable to recover from a basic maneuver in a C-150. If you need tips on how to live in a storage unit, I'll be happy to pass them on to you - I had the 'opportunity' to live in one for a couple of months.

Well, Andy. I have decades in this industry and decades in union work. I understand the industry pretty well. I also have a firm grasp on my needs and that of my family. I think changing from 60 to 65, a change of 8% over almost 50 years was long past due and certainly not extreme.

You really should climb back on the high road. You look a little smaller today than you did yesterday.

Back to the countdown, which is kind of fun to observe. I still reserve the right to push back, from time to time, at those who like to throw insults and denigration on others.

Sorry for interruption.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back