121 turbine pic

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

saviboy

a friend of mine just hit 1000 hours turbine pic 121 in a light turboprop.
He is leaving the company to work for a 135 airline as a PIC for a better salary and QOL. the airplane will be the same.
some people told him it was a mistake because Majors are looking at 121 guys in priority and his move could compromise his future oppportunities.
He made the move for his family.
What do you guys think? mistake or not mistake?

To my understanding it doesn't matter!!!! PIC is PIC I don't think they mine 135 PIC in a jet like a Gulfstream or a Citation 10 which is way more advance then any regional out there or even a light turboprop. The only airline that mines, I believe is Airtran.

I worked for three different companies last year and still got a job at a major. I was PIC at all of them though...all three moves were for better pay, better equipment and better QOL...easy enough...barely came up in the interview. I am making my fourth move in a year and a half to SWA next month....go for it .....nobody can fault someone for bettering themselves.

Last edited:
Machdog1 said:
To my understanding it doesn't matter!!!! PIC is PIC I don't think they mine 135 PIC in a jet like a Gulfstream or a Citation 10 which is way more advance then any regional out there or even a light turboprop. The only airline that mines, I believe is Airtran.

When did Airtran get into mining? Do they still have a flight ops department?

-Blucher;)

Doesn't matter. One guy in my class only had 400hrs turbine PIC in a Falcon 20 hauling auto parts. One other had only Beech 1900 time as the biggest plane he had ever flown. Another had no college at all.

He made the move for his family.
What do you guys think? mistake or not mistake?

Absolutely the right choice. This career is not worth sacrificing your family over. Some folks find this out too late.

As for a shot at the majors, every one is different. SWA seems to take from a wide range of backgrounds. AirTran seems to strongly prefer 121 time. Just depends.

But do what is right for your family. I wish I had.

UPSer said:
Doesn't matter. One guy in my class only had 400hrs turbine PIC in a Falcon 20 hauling auto parts. One other had only Beech 1900 time as the biggest plane he had ever flown. Another had no college at all.

when u say my class do you mean UPS?

Latest resources

Back