121 SIC mins up to 1200TT

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
milehigh6080 said:
I doubt the airlines would support such a reg. It's much easier to get a low time, unqualified guy to sign a crappy contract than it is to get it passed by a qualfied pilot. If I'm in airline management, I want as many underqualified "grateful" employees as I can get.

I don't agree with this, in most companies (At least ALPA), probationary pilots can't vote on the contract, so it really doesn't make a difference. IMHO By the time pilots are off probation, they are already bitter like the rest, regardless of how many hours they had when hired.

I do agree with what you say about the pay though.

DC8 Flyer said:
The point is, SIC is and should remain a position of "training" and learning to be a Captain, not as a position occupied by a Captain who simpley gets paid less because of the side of the airplane he/she is sitting on.

But for me I am a displaced captain who is basically sitting right seat getting paid FO rate because I'm in that right seat. Granted, every flight adds to the bag of experience, but my company has many captain qualified FOs who now sit around and think to ourselves "why is this guy doing that?"

Will the pay go up?

Nah I didn't think so. They (airlines) get what they pay for!

I think the main effect would be that CFI pay would go even lower (maybe even to the point of some guys working for free) since there would be so many flight instructors out there trying to get to 1200.

Flyingdutchman said:
Will the pay go up?

Nah I didn't think so. They (airlines) get what they pay for!

Yeah, look at the captain pay at most regionals!

I love it simply for the fact that it would eliminate all buy-a-job programs, and actually force the majority to put down the checkbook and actually WORK for what they wanted. It would also really hurt the pilot factories, also, which would be nothing but good for the industry.

# of >1200tt pilots

My regional class date was in april, and of the 30 of us in it only 1 of the guys had less than 1200TT, and he was a previous company intern with about 1000tt. Most of us were prior 121 or 135 guys. Even the 6 who were flight instructors had over 1200tt.

Latest resources

Back