• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

121 or corporate?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am furloughed from one of the largest major airlines. First off, I would like to give you the advice of giving up on that “major” dream job. Those jobs are gone forever, I expect the assault to continue on the contracts until they are whittled down and the pension plans are all gone. Throw in the threat of cabotage and you can see where this profession is headed. Not to say that there still won't be good 121 jobs out there, but the ones that got you hooked on a flying career are history.

My advice would be determine what means the most to you. If you want hard days off, union representation, seniority based upgrades, regular pay increases, and space-A travel stay 121. If you are willing to gamble, negotiate your own pay and live by the sked of the boss, go corporate.

The good corporate jobs are extremely hard to get, since no one is dumb enough to leave them, and they are impossible to get if you come solely from a 121 airline background, unless you have another sort of connection in the flight department. I am very unhappy in my current situation, I am gone nearly every weekend and I have no hard days off unless the aircraft is on jacks. I keep sending out resumes, making contacts, and working towards getting a corporate gig that I can stand and one that I can possibly retire from. But, once again, you have to be willing to relocate, and go where the good jobs are. Also, remember that these “party plane” companies will tell you almost anything to get a butt in the seat. I was lied to about my current position before I started, and I would be skeptical about any claims that are made to you about any “party plane” type operation. Since everything is dictated by the whims of the owner, you must give up all hope of having a normal life.

So, make up your mind, do you want to slug it out in the airlines with the realization that it will probably never get any better than what you have now, or ask yourself if you want to strike out and try to find one of those diamond in the rough corporate jobs.

HMR said:
Wow...Where can I find one of those? I thought living on the beach, knowing my schedule two months in advance, averaging 20+ days off/month and working for a wonderful family ranked as a good corp. job.

PS-My avatar is from our last RON... 6 weeks ago.:)

Youre right...sounds like a great gig...

How long ya think it's gonna last???

I've had a lot of those sit around 20days and make good $$ jobs....I wish each one lasted....they just never did!

:confused: .

Gulfstream 200 said:
Youre right...sounds like a great gig...

How long ya think it's gonna last???

I've had a lot of those sit around 20days and make good $$ jobs....I wish each one lasted....they just never did!

:confused: .
Point taken.

Now...where did I put that sunscreen?

Latest resources

Back