121 or corporate?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

parrothead

Can anyone help my decide if it would be wise to take a corporate/135 PIC job based at home versus wait for an upgrade at a 121 regional and commuting? The upgrade would be sometime this summer. Thanks for any advice/comments.

parrothead said:
Can anyone help my decide if it would be wise to take a corporate/135 PIC job based at home versus wait for an upgrade at a 121 regional and commuting? The upgrade would be sometime this summer. Thanks for any advice/comments.

Pay, benefits, QOL (schedule), career progression? I don't know, we don't have enough to go on to give you any advise.

forget corporate...

ya know...boss sells the airplanes the minute the company has problems (just a luxury) and ya know, you have no Union Protection! - thats worth AT LEAST $11.50/hr...but ya know, the new contracts coming...

Not too shabby, as they say...

No seriously, you cant come ask such a vague question and expect some real info...maybe provide some details???

:rolleyes: /

Sorry to leave it so light. The pay is 40K to start, 45 after three months, and 50K after a year. Full benefits. Medical, dental, vision. Profit sharing 401K. Home based. One week vacation after a year, two weeks after two years. QOL is one of my big concerns. Two captains and one contract FO will be hired. If the plane goes out, one captain gets the day off. Weekends will alternate. They expect to fly 300-400 hours a year. It's set up as a 135 and flying for one guy and his family. If it flies more on charter, that' great, if not, OK. He's an old oil guy(big money) and likes to hunt, fish, and ski. If something were to happen with this, I could go to the corporate hq and fly one of the other 15 planes, but in a different location. They anticipate an aircraft upgrade after about a year or so. One other concern is leaving the 121 world for 135 and slightly smaller aircraft and then trying to get back in it when it gets better. Losing jumpseat priveliges is a big one and the hard days off is a big one. Those are my main concerns. I want to go with a major one day if it gets better. I don't want a QOL enhancement now to prohibit one later. The company managing this airplane is in a different location than where it will be kept. They are a great company though. I was VERY impressed when I went to meet them. Maintenance is top notch and they are very friendly and seam to really care about you. They spare no expense on the little stuff. They have a staff to flight follow, set up catering, send rounting info, set up hotels and cars, and coordinate with the pax. I hope I've given sufficient info. Thanks again for the help!

Forgot to mention that there is a one year training contract. They will send me to Flight Safety. Also provide a cell phone. They really don't think that the owner will want this plane long, meaning something bigger, faster, and more range.

From what I saw in 15 years at a major, coming from corporate (and you would be corporate regardless of your 135 status) actually differentiates you from the hordes of regional guys. You've already filled your airline square so they know you can handle the line flying. The HR departments at the airlines respect corporate captains because of the responsibility--you can handle all the curves corporate can throw at you.

Besides, you may like it here. I'm glad I changed. Find out if they keep you out over the holidays--that gets old quick. Check on other QOL issues in a tactful manner. Good luck. PM me with any questions.TC

I want to go with a major one day if it gets better.

If you want to fly for a major one day then I would have to say that you would be better off staying 121.

I don't want a QOL enhancement now (corporate) to prohibit one later (major).

I think you are answering your own questions. Stay 121...maybe in 10-15 yrs you will be right where you want to be.

Good luck

watch those "fly the rich old owner to his vacation home" jobs......read that as to mean you will gone all weekends and holidays. You married? kids? -- ever want either one?

I guess I can say, IMHO, these jobs get OLD QUICK.

Another thing...dont ever buy that "hes getting a bigger plane" thing or "they promised me another job if this one tanks" thing....if this guy is THAT RICH he wouldnt be pimpin his ride out on someones 135 certificate, regardless of the "tax reasons" they state...

Only you know whats best for your situation, but I would stay and upgrade at the airline before this job for 40K. He cant have much more than say...a King Air to be paying 40K...

A good corp gig can be a great job. 135 management can truly $uck.

Id pass.

Just an opinion....good luck!

Last edited:
Well I was told that I'd get an airline ticket home for Christmas. But you're probably right. The airline upgrade, as $hitty as the company is would probably be best. Maintenance is a big problem right now. That bothers me. Thanks for the feedback.

In my experience, the best corporate jobs are the ones where the airplane is used primarily for business purposes. Then the pax want to get home just as much as you do.

Latest resources

Back