• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

12 Hour Duty Day for TRAIN CONDUCTORS?!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I worked 121 for about 7yrs, now I work for a short-line Railroad. The 12 hrs is a hard limit for operating the train, and yes they stop wherever they are when thay reach 12 hrs. But, they have no provision currently for mandatory time off. The new legislation provides for just such time off, this legislation is supposed to be headed to Bush's desk to be signed.

We diverted coming home on a stand-up once and timed-out. After I did the PA and explained why we couldn't go any further a guy came up to me and said he couldn't believe we could work 16 hours. He said he worked for the railroad and could only work 12.

Of course some of the other PAX were angry about getting stranded and some even made rude remarks. Then we hopped back in the plane and 91'd it on home.

I'll never 91 a plane beyond 16 hours again.

Nothing is going to change until pilots falls asleep and fly it into the ground. The government, especially the FAA, has always been reactive instead of proactive.

Messa's premier division gho! has led the way in this area, they are waiting for volunteer/narcoleptics for phase II, the impact phase.
PBR

MESA pilots hit 12 hours and wherever they are, cut the engines and coast it in, break out the plywood.

Or, it might mean that the company has to hire more pilots.

Having to hire more pilots would be bad because that increases the company's per flight hour cost. That translates to less flying.

Listen to Joe, he is right that to get 12 hour duty days will likely not be what you expect. (Either more days away from home, or a shrinking company...your pick.)

Having to hire more pilots would be bad because that increases the company's per flight hour cost. That translates to less flying.

Listen to Joe, he is right that to get 12 hour duty days will likely not be what you expect. (Either more days away from home, or a shrinking company...your pick.)

Well, studies have shown that the accident rate goes up exponentially after 10-12 hours on duty so if that means I get to live that's a bonus.

Latest resources

Back