• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyArmy11

Got Drag...Go Guardrail!
Dear Ladies & Gents:

I was wondering if any of you on this forum are in the 106th Rescue Wing (NYANG) in Westhampton, NY or know someone who is? I am a Dual-Rated former active duty (current IRR) U.S. Army Aviation Captain (O-3) who is relocating to Long Island, NY for my full time job as an Air Interdiction Agent (Pilot) with U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP Air.) I am extremely interested in a traditional guardsman pilot position in either the HC-130P “Hercules” or HH-60G “Pavehawk” with the 106th.

Can any of you please point me in the correct direction to get in contact with the right people at the 106th? I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to talk to any of you who are, were, or will be in the 106th. Please let me know who I can forward my cover letter & resume to and also see if they will be hiring pilots anytime in the near future on the HC-130 or HH-60 side of the house?

I would like to thank all of you in advance for your time, effort, & help! Take care & I hope to hear from you soon!

Fly Safe,

Matt

Huggyu2,

After graduating from College & Army ROTC in 1999, I went through Ft Rucker for IERW (Initial Entry Rotory Wing) Course, then AVOBC (Aviation Officer Basic Course), then Army C-12 (BE-200) FWMEQC (Fixed Wing Multi-Engine Qualification Course), followed by the SEMA (Special Electronic Mission Aircraft) RC-12N (BE-300) Guardrail Aircraft Qualficiation Course.

Any help or light you could shed would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt

I don't know those fixed wing courses, but I"m guessing they are the ones given by the various corporations that the military contracts with, vice being an "actual military fixed wing course". I know the Reserve is probably different, but the Active Duty side no longer takes Army pilots with this type of fixed wing transition: if you didn't go through a "military fixed wing qua", not just one "approved" by the military, the A.D. USAF won't take you into a fixed wing job.

Best advise to give is go to the Unit and ask in person! Its really the only way to get the real and right answer. Besides face time is a must. They are a great bunch.

Captain Happy,
A former NY army helo pilot

You have to know Huggy's background

FlyArmy-

Just so you know, Huggy is our director of recruiting. We have U-2 pilots who are from the Coast Guard, Navy and Marines (as well as a few Air Force pilots). Fortunately, the Marines are beginning to establish a strong foot hold and soon this will be a USMC squadron.

Huggy has met with some frustrations in the past because we (as a community) had to pass on interviews with otherwise qualified Army drivers because of AFPC's (Air Force Personnel Center) requirement that pilots have to go through a military fixed wing course which requires spin training, formation flight and aerobatics, etc that you were probably not exposed to in a Flight Safety (or other civilian) course.

Personally, I have had a bunch of friends go to the reserves and guard (but many of them had to go back through some portion of UPT). Active duty typically will not send you back and will not waive the requirements (Huggy's frustration), but the reserves and Guard can and do.

So, in summary, Huggy is not making light of your training, he's just pointing out that it doesn't mean as much to the big blue (Active Duty) Air Force as it does to the Army.

Good luck with all you do-

Kuma

FlyArmy,
First, thanks to Kuma for pointing out that I came across negatively.
I offered this info simply to give you a head's up as to what was going on inside the bowels of the active duty part of AFPC. Hopefully, the AFRC side operates under different rules.
Best of luck! Let us know what happens.

The AF Guard can get almost anything waivered. Depends on how much they need people who really want to be at their unit. Just show up, ask some questions and let them decide if they are interested. Worst case, they say, "No thanks."

NTS

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the help & advice! I'll let you know how it all works out. If any of you know anyone in the unit, I'd like to chat with them if you can PM me their contact info.

Fly Safe,

Matt

Latest resources

Back