• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

$100k DOT Fine- Punishment by Example

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Where was the captain during all this? It really is a shame that the airline was fined and not the captain, too.

Maybe they should fine the TSA for not being available. Oh wait, I guess the government can't sue itself. Not familiar with the airport, but what if the Captain decided to use his authority to taxi over to the FBO on the field and deplane the pax in a nice and cozy lounge area with restrooms and catering at the companies' expense... No, wait, he'd get slapped by TSA!!! It was a no-win situation for the crew...

Where was the captain during all this? It really is a shame that the airline was fined and not the captain, too.

My understanding of the situation was the Captain pretty much pleaded his case to everyone he could with no one willing to come out and play...

Hi!

It was a female capt, and she asked for help numerous times during this debacle. I think that is the reason that Mesaba was fined, because Mesaba refused to help when the capt asked for it.

The TSA does not need to be there, to deplane the pax.

cliff
NBO

Correct. TSA not required. And the captain has the ultimate authority to do what needs to be done. Pleading for help and getting none is a non starter. If help doesn't arrive then do what needs to be done. Get the people off the airplane. Use your crew. I swear this society has gone overboard on condom think. This captain failed to adhere to the standards of being a captain when Plan A didn't work out.

Last edited:
DOT should split the fine between the passengers. They are the ones who earned it.

Not to armchair quarterback, but I've been known to return to the gate, open the door, and walking the passengers up the jetbridge stairs, in the door, and back into the concourse.

Sometimes you do what you need to do. What's the old expression? "Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission."

The young kids at the regionals have no idea of the concept of CAPTAINS AUTHORITY. They are too scared to lose their job or get a slap on the wrist, and have to explain that blemish on an interview.

Well- tso- I doubt you know what you're talking about- some of the strongest capts I've had were in the smallest planes- bc we worked for company's that could give a damn if you get violated-
newer AF guys seem to be the ones who can't see the forest for all the trees and constantly search for an FOM answer -just an observation

Latest resources

Back