• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

1,372 Pilots Needed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think that Skywest is the largest airline in the country that is not unionized.

The other 97% of pilots can't all be wrong.

I heard that Skywest is firing up to 2 pilots a month. How many do you think would be if they had Alpa? The things that make you go hmm..
I think they have to ask themselves is it worth the money.
Oh ya!!!!

I heard that Skywest is firing up to 2 pilots a month. How many do you think would be if they had Alpa? The things that make you go hmm..
I think they have to ask themselves is it worth the money.
Oh ya!!!!

I'm 100% pro-union, but sometimes people need to be fired. That is one of my biggest problems with unions- how they go out of their way to protect people who really really screwed up. The job of a union is to protect working conditions for the workers, not to absolutely protect each individual's job.

You guys are in control of your future. If you don't vote in ALPA and get screwed in the long run, you won't get any pity from me or any other professional airline pilot.

Exactly! You make your bed and then you sleep in it! I also voted yes so we only need 1370 more.

I'm 100% pro-union, but sometimes people need to be fired. That is one of my biggest problems with unions- how they go out of their way to protect people who really really screwed up. The job of a union is to protect working conditions for the workers, not to absolutely protect each individual's job.

Of course, you won't feel that way then the gun is pointed at you. Or will you admit your mistake and resign? Didn't think so. 99% of the criminals in penitentiaries claim they are innocent. But at least in theory, they were entitled to a fair trial.

Last edited:

People at union airlines do get fired. The difference is that there needs to be documentation or outright negligence/criminal activity before it gets to that point. The union has a duty of fair representation for everyone who is a bargaining unit regardless of whether they are dues paying members. Sometimes its a matter making sure the punishment fits the crime. The company may want to fire someone for something that they clearly did wrong but may not merit being fired. This is where the union will try to get the person to be suspended rather than to be fired. There are many other examples like getting management to allow the pilot to resign instead or resign and be rehired, etc. There are always those guys who do deserve to be fired. And eventually they do get fired. Its not like nobody gets fired at union airlines.

Latest resources

Back