1,372 Pilots Needed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Andy Neill

That's the magic number for the SkyWest union vote to pass this time. National Mediation Board case R-7125 shows 2,743 ballots out there. The Sep 99 decision was 389 of 789 voting for ALPA or some other representation (6 short of passage). The Apr 04 decision was 478 of 1444 voting for UPA or some other representation (245 short of passage).

What is the count going to be this time? Voting time is halfway gone.

Last edited:
With globalization, liberalization (not left wing!), criminalization, multi-crew pilots license... the list goes on!

And the number of jobs needed worldwide, how can any pilot at SKWY NOT consider employment flying bigger aircraft some where else...

And if that consideration is real... why wouldn't a pilot want to belong to a professional international organization?

1,371 is my guess. Then in a couple of years the new guys who voted no this time will be regretting that decision. They will try to convince the new, new guys to vote yes this time but the new, new guys will say "why, this place is great, I am just lucky to be here, I dont want ALPA screwing up my quick upgrade ".

1,371 is my guess. Then in a couple of years the new guys who voted no this time will be regretting that decision. They will try to convince the new, new guys to vote yes this time but the new, new guys will say "why, this place is great, I am just lucky to be here, I dont want ALPA screwing up my quick upgrade ".

As someone who has worked on the drive, and is a member of the OC, I've heard that if it doesn't pass this time, there isn't going to be another chance for a long time. At least not with ALPA.

...why wouldn't a pilot want to belong to a professional international organization?
Because they just don't know any better? Because people can't be troubled with the facts once they've made up their minds? Because they believe the company's propaganda and not the unions? If you figure out the 'why' part, please let me know. I am baffled at the people I fly with who are simply anti-union, anti-alpa, and pro-skywest management for no better reason than they chose to be a long time ago and no amount of information will cause them to change.

My dream though, is that it passes and all the vehemently anti-union guys go to that last bastion of blissful, union-free living: Colgan.

Then in a couple of years the new guys who voted no this time will be regretting that decision. They will try to convince the new, new guys to vote yes this time but the new, new guys will say "why, this place is great, I am just lucky to be here, I dont want ALPA screwing up my quick upgrade ".
That is so true. I can't understand how people can lack any form of foresight.

The perfect post.

my own unscientific poll:

I went back to my eTrip and looked at everyone I've flown with since July 1st. I flew with two guys more than once, so I only counted them once. I flew with guys of all seniority levels, from the top ten in the company to guys junior to me, with less than 3 years seniority. I spoke with all of them about the union drive, and results were:

9 FOR
20 AGAINST
1 undecided

again, this sampling was just my experience in SLC the last few months. I'd say all of the 10 year+ guys I flew with are against, with one exception. The FOR guys are of various seniority.

If we vote this one down, then we deserve what little SAPA is able to negotiate for us. I am tired of hearing my FO's tell me how ineffective they think SAPA is and then in the same breath tell me they won't be voting for ALPA. I DON'T GET IT!

You guys are in control of your future. If you don't vote in ALPA and get screwed in the long run, you won't get any pity from me or any other professional airline pilot.

Latest resources

Back