Zantop

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wmudriver

I know Zantop finally went TU last year, what happened to their L-188's? Didn't they have 3 or 4 flying? Any word from the YIP guys what will happen to their little boneyard/rust pile on the west side of the field?

What was the story behind their breakup in the 90's?

Last edited:
I thought I remember YIP saying that some, if not all, of the L-188's were sold to some dude up in Alaska...

Zantop had a contract with the Teamsters it went into effect 3-18-96, on 3-18-97 we were suppose to get our first increase under the contract. On 1-16-97, they announced they were going out of business on 3-17-97. They could not sell the airplane so they elected to go back into business, and got a new contract with the Teamsters they gave them 6 days off per month and an L-188 Captain making less than a USA Jet DA-20 Captain. Then in 2005 they pulled the plug completely.

I never saw anything come or go from the MSP hangar. Unfortunately I no longer get the chance to either. But you probably already knew that.

The guy who owns the 94th Aero Squadron restaurant chain, Talichey (sp.?) has reportedly purchased the Zantop certificate and assets. He has three L-188's parked outside of hangar two at YIP. They have done A-501 run-ups on the airplanes with props and have rented hangar space to do C checks. So it look like the L-188's may come back to life. Plans are rumored the L-188's will be moved to Africa, South American and Alaska where the 121 standards do not apply for TCAS and EGPWAS

pilotyip said:
The guy who owns the 94th Aero Squadron restaurant chain, Talichey (sp.?) has reportedly purchased the Zantop certificate and assets. He has three L-188's parked outside of hangar two at YIP. They have done A-501 run-ups on the airplanes with props and have rented hangar space to do C checks. So it look like the L-188's may come back to life. Plans are rumored the L-188's will be moved to Africa, South American and Alaska where the 121 standards do not apply for TCAS and EGPWAS

Pilotyip, you finally got an avatar!

B24's at Willow...cool.

Hey YIP guys,

What company was it that had Electras out of YIP and used the callsign (TMM) "Willow Run". That callsign came back to Traffic Management Corporation or something like that. Are they still around? Was it just another Zantop company? Just curious.

I believe that TMC was the predecessor to what is the DC-8 side of Murray Air. Not sure of the exact history though. It was called Traffic mgmt corp, and is no longer.

TMC was a 125 little brother of Zantop

Latest resources

Back