• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Youth in aviation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Greetings fellow aviators. I have been a private pilot for 10 years and have logged over 400 hours in GA airplanes. I have twice flown my Cessna 150 from Norman Oklahoma to Oshkosh Wisconsin EAA event. I have noticed that most of us are getting in our 40’s and above in the GA arena. I feel we need to bring up a new generation of pilots or our pastime will fade away.

I personally have written a book to try to interest young people to seek aviation training and I would like to share it with you. This is not something that will make me much money. However, it gives me great joy to be proactively promoting aviation to the youth of today.

I would like to post a website for any who are interested for the book I wrote. I am not trying to solicit my book for personal gain. Rather, I would hope that it could be a tool to reach the young.

Please visit my website www.dogsdontfly.com and let your friends know that there is a great little story about flying for an age group of 8-14 years old.

Also, lets discuss how we can work together to improve this predicament . Your comments are welcome.

Thanks.

You should try to organize something at a local M.S. or H.S. where you can introduce the book and sell it. I'm sure parents (non-pilot parent, that is! ;) ) would love their kids to become pilots and might not have a problem purchasing something like this. It's a positive thing which can keep kids from being side-tracked with drugs and other criminal activities in their adolescense. It also imporves self-esteem for kids with these issues. The biggest obstacle is the cost of training and the poor return on investment. You can sell it as a career or a hobby. Another idea might be to somehow incorporate some Be-A-Pilot Discovery Flight Vouchers into the sale of the book.

Good luck. Bump.

The civil air patrol continues to have a cadet program for youth. I was a cadet myself for a number of years.

Of curiosity, why a picture of an ag airplane, a commercial endeavor, on the cover of a book by a private pilot?

I've been worried about this in the same sense for a little while. We're all getting older and there's no one behind us.

I like the build a plane organization's concept, but they seem to be disorganized. Good luck to you, sir. I hope you can generate some interest.

The book cover

The civil air patrol continues to have a cadet program for youth. I was a cadet myself for a number of years.

Of curiosity, why a picture of an ag airplane, a commercial endeavor, on the cover of a book by a private pilot?

My book is about a dog that learns how to be a crop duster from a cat and thus to fly. It is based on a time line like the early to middle 50's. I am not trying to influence people toward either path of training but rather to experiance the joy of flying.

Thanks for your thoughts everybody. This is a labor of love for me. I love flying, I am a pilot. It is the greatist achievement in my life.

It obviously has to do with the astronomical cost of getting even just a PPL nowadays. It is already a huge deal to spend the money for long-term career purposes. Short of coming for a wealthy family, I can't see many young people going for something of the sort.

Cool, thanks for the link, this book is going to make a good gift for my little cousin. Nice job.

Cool, thanks for the link, this book is going to make a good gift for my little cousin. Nice job.

Thank you for the complement. Its my goal to eventually be able to give these books away to schools and library's. I just have to figure out how to pay for them.

Also, the discussion about the cost of training is a good one. My position on this is to get them interested in flying by giving rides or haveing school classes come out for a field trip to a GA airport. I was able to get my pilots licence inexpensivly by getting to know the pilots in my local area. Networking is a key here.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back