Your thoughts about PBS?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Cliff_S

I would like to hear some thoughts about PBS at carriers that use it now. FedEx management is trying to push us into this but we're resisting because we believe we'll be screwed because management will maintain full control of the system. However, I have read a few tidbits here and there which suggest lots of folks really like it. At the carriers who do use PBS, who has real control over it, the pilots, the union, or management? And how do you like it? Thanks.

We had it at TWA and it was awesome. The union and the company agree to staffing levels and hourly targets and the program builds each pilot a customized line based on your individual preferences (good for pilots). It also factors in scheduled training events, vacations and monthly conflicts to increase productivity and reduce the number of trips that are kicked into open time (good for management).

There are a lot of guys who know a heck of a lot more about it than I do, but as a user (of the the system that is), it was great. I heard that traditional bidding allows something like 10% of the pilots to get all the days off they need, while PBS allows something like 60% of the pilots to get all of the days off they need (good for pilots). As a result, the use of sick time miraculously goes WAY down (good for the company).

From my experience it was one of those win-win scenarios where everybody was happy.

Pros:

1) Customized Line
2) It's really easy to bid every month
3) Less reserve staffing needed
4) More hard lines awarded

Cons:

1) Reduces staffing needs, although the program can be tweaked for whatever staffing levels the pilots and the company agree to
2) Bidding conflicts are eliminated
3) Vacation conflicts are eliminated
4) You can't just pick a line and bid it, so you need to make sure your preferences are prioritized correctly

Bottom line, the union and the company will have to work together to make sure the program is working as desired. Once that is accomplished, you'll NEVER want to go back to the old way of bidding.

Last edited:
Good if you are senior, bad if you are really junior. We had PBS at Delta Express in MCO.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Cliff_S said:
I would like to hear some thoughts about PBS at carriers that use it now. FedEx management is trying to push us into this but we're resisting because we believe we'll be screwed because management will maintain full control of the system. However, I have read a few tidbits here and there which suggest lots of folks really like it. At the carriers who do use PBS, who has real control over it, the pilots, the union, or management? And how do you like it? Thanks.

it's a huge QOL issue. It's really awesome, and I'm not sure what General is talking about but it is more fair to junior guys than line bidding (a TON less time involved)

two thumbs up!

I learned to count to 10 in Spanish when I was little thanks to Sesame Street.............wait, are we talking about the same thing?

TooBad said:
it's a huge QOL issue. It's really awesome, and I'm not sure what General is talking about but it is more fair to junior guys than line bidding (a TON less time involved)

two thumbs up!

Well TOO BAD, I don't know what you are talking about but being junior with PBS $ucks. Being senior is great, since you will likely get most of what you want. Being junior you have to try to bid everything and see if something sticks. Being senior allows you to bid only a few things and one will likely stick. What are you talking about? Line bidding allows you to trade trips prior to reserve guys getting them---or gives you first dibs.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General,

The PBS system you had at Delta Express was written by Adopt. That system, IMO, is not pilot friendly. Additionally, when you all agreed to use it you knew nothing about it and you had no control of its parameters. It was company controlled. That's why it didn't work and you didn't like it.

A good PBS system, contractually regulated by the union and the company jointly, is way better than traditional line bidding. Everything depends on how your contract is written and what limits/controls the union has.

Airwares probably makes the best system. The NWA pilots use it, ask them. However, they didn't go into it blind (like you all did at Express). I think TWA also used Airwares initially but eventually the company forced them into Adopt.

Don't get me wrong Adopt can be made to work if you have the right controls, but it's not pilot friendly at all. It's algorithms definitely aren't advantageous to pilots and those good at math can take advantage of those not so good.

Any PBS system that is not thorougly understood and does not include contractual controls will be a negative for pilots and a plus for the company. Do your homework before you agree to it.

Surplus1,

In our latest agreement with management, we were allowed to choose the PBS system. I am sure Dalpa will find the best one that helps us out the most, while allowing the company many advantages too.

Bye Bye--General Lee

75M said:
. . .<snip>. . .
Bottom line, the union and the company will have to work together . . .<snip>. . ..
And that, gentlemen, is the rub. . . .

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back