Your Opinion of Regional Career

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mustang

Been pondering the idea of going thru the whole process to be considered for a Regional. Goal is possible for me in two or so years for me. Some real generic questions?

Given the cost of training is it really worth it, say five years down the line and sitting in the left seat of a worthwhile regional? Don't get me wrong, I am crazy about flying - just what your opinions.

Lifestyle - How tough is it to maintain some type of normal life working for a regional? Kids and a wife working and such?

Let me know your thoughts and thanks.

It's funny reading your post. No offense. You have quite a ways to go before you need to start worrying about quality of life at a regional, but I understand where you are coming from.

If you wind up at a "regional" like ACA, Comair, Air Whiskey...then you are sitting pretty. Schedules at these carriers..while perhaps not up to the mainline level are indeed excellent and the money is great.

If you wind up at Great Lakes etc...then you might be hurting a little bit.

Regardless...I wouldn't start flying and rack up the bill unless you really want to fly. I've seen it all to often after 20K or more is invested the dream of flying professionally is excused. You must be prepared for a wall to be erected in your path and you then must be prepared to drive right through that wall.

Take Care.

Thanks - In the process of investigating and have friends flying regionally and with United... Just want the opinions of as many as possible, so I don't waste my $ and time with a career I will not be happy with. Doing something you love for money is usally much different than a hobbie.

Hey, if you really love flying, then go for it. But before you drop the cash on it, just be sure to ask yourself if you still think it'd be worth it (to be able to fly, with advanced ratings, etc.) even if you don't end up getting your dream pilot job (whatever that may be). If you know the answer is "yes" simply because you love to fly, then hey, you bet it's worth it.

I briefly worked at Eagle before I was furloughed. As you may have read on other discussion threads, Eagle is not the best regional (as far as contract and management is concerned) to work for. Far from it. In fact, it didn't take too long before I too was frustrated with the company, to say the least. Even more so now. That said, I continue to hope that I get recalled soon. Despite all the BS one has to put up with, at the end of the day, I'm left thinking, knowing, that it's a great job. The view is great. You meet some really neat people. Gain good experience. Generally, have a lot of fun, it's challenging at times, easy at others. In the end...it's flying, 'nough said.

As for maintaining a normal lifestyle, that may be difficult. At Eagle most schedules (if you have enough seniority to get one) are 3 or 4 day trips, with 3 days off in between. So it's a lot of time away from home. Some schedules (there aren't many and they go very senior) in Miami and San Juan I believe allow you to be home almost every night.

There is more out there than regionals. There is corporate, fractionals, and freight to name a few.

Regional career

Very good question.

I was pushing 40 when I changed careers to full-time aviation. I was realistic about myself and my chances. I would have been happier than a pig in (unprintable) to captain a 1900 for at least several years, if not the rest of my flying days. An RJ? That would have been super wow. A BAC (Avro) 146 (which was really one of the first RJs as we know them)? Totally cool airplane. Even better!!

In those days, in the early 90s, a senior commuter captain earned in the $45K-$50K range. That would have been fine for me then and, even with no COLA, would be fine for me now.

As your seniority number improves, so does your ability to hold a good line. I drew my inspiration in part from a friend who was captain on a Metroliner. He had quite a bit of free time, even though he sat reserve as well as holding a line (don't ask me how or why; it was a small commuter).

I agree with the others that you have plenty of time to ponder regional airline flying as a career. But, in my .02 opinion, you are not out of line to consider it.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited:
To do Or Not to Do?

What would you do if money didn't matter? Are you willing to chase jobs for several years? Many of us have had girlfriends/wives feel #2 due to our passion for flying. In somecases, perhaps they were.

No regrets.

A regional career would probably let you enjoy a good schedule, but with much inferior relative pay and retirement. Keep in mind that even a 2nd year FO at a major usually makes more than a 10 yr RJ captain. With the practical differences between so-called regionals and majors becoming less and less, regional pilots are grossly underpaid.

My advice is to keep your eyes and ears open along your entire route to the airlines. Make connections early on and continue to do so until you reach your goals. Every job I have ever gotten in aviation came from strong recommendations as well as the usual - determination, etc. Aviation is very small community, so likewise, be careful whose toes you may step on. That Private student one day as an instructor can be your Captain one day!
Shoot for the regional that has the best pay and quickest upgrade. Places like ACA, Air Whiskey, ASA, Comair seem to be in everyones focus nowadays. This can change, however. Don't 'jump' at that first job unless you are sure it is good for you for a multitude of reasons (this can sure be hard when you have beating the tarmac for a while as instructor, banner tow, etc).
Also, when you find out which airline you might want to work for, try to talk to as many of their pilots as possible (online here for example, in the terminal (if you can), etc). Get an idea of their labor contract as well! This is highly overlooked in the job search. Recruiters can promise you the stars - and deliver you to the right seat for YEARS with bad pay and work rules. Good Luck!

Latest resources

Back