Your most boneheaded mistake as a CFI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MFRskyknight said:
It gets worse when the controllers are the ones with the dyslexia.... fun times at OUN! :nuts:

MFR

Hey, MFR Yes Fun at OUN the controllers had a hard time with 7676U hahaha Especialy the one A-hole controller that kept asking me is i was sure i wanted to taxi to airman hehehe! Or when they asked if my airplane was one of airmans new airplanes.

Then you had that one instructor & de on his Instructor ride do a Gear Up Landing!

MFR, you still in Portland? What are you doing tomorrow afternoon or evening? Weather should be fun!!! If you want in the afternoon if you pay fuel we can go burn a few holes in the sky land and have a beverage & a local strip club?

MFRskyknight said:
It gets worse when the controllers are the ones with the dyslexia.... fun times at OUN! :nuts:

MFR

I see a couple of people went to Airman. What a joke. My instructor was the most unmotivated person that I have ever flown with. We would be out for 45 minutes and he would say, "Allright, you've got the idea.. lets take it back in. I'll put 1.5 in your logbook and we'll call it a day" F that. Another time my instructor called to cancel on me, he said that TAF was calling for T storms in an hour and clouds were rolling in. I was inside my hotel studying (POS Days Inn) with the shades shut, so I didn't know any better. I look outside and to my surprise I am blinded by the sun, it took my 10 minutes to find any clouds. I came out of there with only my CFI-I completed (no CFIA) I could give private students instrument training but nothing else. And who could forget good ole' Dale. He could explain any concept in Aviation to a 3rd grader and they would understand completely. But that only goes so far, and neverending analogies (while entertaining) are not useful to CFI applicants. Wow, I could go on forever about that place.

Anyway most boneheaded thing I did with a student was sign him off before he was ready. I was in the tower at a class D airport watching the calamity unfold. Taxiing without a clearance after botched landings. Doing a touch and go after I told him several times not to. I even made him repeat that back. On his final landing he porpoised over and over until the plane ran out of energy. At least the guys in the tower were cool. I flew the plane back home after that.

Back when I was a student pilot (I’m am now a cfi) on my very first flight, my instructor called up clearance delivery and got our departure clearance and then proceeded to taxi to the run-up area. We did our run-up and he looked at the radio and said “oh ********************!” He then calls up ground only to get a ear full.

That’s about all. I just got my cfi and only have a few hours with it.:nuts: Probably in a few weeks I will have a good story though.

Doing manuevers in an Arrow and needed to put the gear down for one. Pull the handle down hear the motor running and feel the gear coming down. I look at the gear lights and do not see the three green. I tell my student to abort the maneuver and let's figure out what the heck is going on. I go through the checklist and still cannot get the three green lights. I call up maintenance on the company frequency and explain the situation. They give me all correction methods and nothing is working. Finally he asks me "Are the Nav lights on?" Duhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! While doing the pre-manuever checklist my student put on the NAV lights and I never noticed. Granted I was a fairly new CFI at the time. Maybe I had 50 hrs dual given. My most embarassing moment yet because I was ready to call ATC and tell them to prepare for an emergancy landing.

SBD said:
Doing manuevers in an Arrow and needed to put the gear down for one. Pull the handle down hear the motor running and feel the gear coming down. I look at the gear lights and do not see the three green. I tell my student to abort the maneuver and let's figure out what the heck is going on. I go through the checklist and still cannot get the three green lights. I call up maintenance on the company frequency and explain the situation. They give me all correction methods and nothing is working. Finally he asks me "Are the Nav lights on?" Duhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! While doing the pre-manuever checklist my student put on the NAV lights and I never noticed. Granted I was a fairly new CFI at the time. Maybe I had 50 hrs dual given. My most embarassing moment yet because I was ready to call ATC and tell them to prepare for an emergancy landing.

OK, you got me here.... the gear indication lights don't come on if the nav lights are on? I can't imagine that would be true, but that *seems* to be what you're saying. Or maybe I'm missing something here

During the day time if you turn on the nav lights the gear indicator lights are dimmed.

Latest resources

Back