Your College Degree.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FreightNazi said:
No College here. HS diploma only, 1.7GPA in fact! I'm now a mid-level seniority captain at UPS. Guess I should have gone to college afterall!

Yeah freightnazi we've all known for sometime that you were too cool for school. That cheesy avatar picuture has GOT to be you!

PilotOnTheRise said:
1) What is your degree in?
2) Why did you choose the degree you did?
3) Would you major in the same thing, if you had to do over again?
4) If your answer to #3 is no, than what would you major in?

1) Electrical Engineering
2) Seemed like a good idea at the time.
3) Sure.

If I have to leave aviation, my degree plus a bunch of military experience will probably allow me to get a decent job. I'm happy to have a back up plan. Especially these days.

What you get the degree in doesn't matter AT ALL. Just get the degree.

Having said that, get a degree in something that might be useful down the road TO YOU. Something you enjoy. Think architecture, finance, or any other degree that might help you further build a lifestyle you desire (on a Major Airline Pilot Payscale). These collegiate departments allow you access to resources that will never be available to you in the same way ever again.

You are in a position with options. Maximize that postion.

-vic

Do they still have degees in Industrial Arts degrees? it is a great degree, you learn to operate every wood working tool ever made, then wire a house, then you learn to weld, run a lathe, plus build a radio from scrach, then take your car apart and put it back together, plus print, photo shop. All the stuff that is really handy around the house.

PilotOnTheRise said:
For those of you who have a college degree, I have a few questions.

1. B.S. in Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering
2. I liked airplanes and science as a kid, so it seemed a fairly reasonable choice when I found out aeronautical engineering existed. Plus, when I was in high school (mid '80's), it seemed like flying for an airline only happened for ex-military pilots.
3. The experiences I've had as a result of my degree (worked for Boeing and a 121 carrier in a techincal capacity) have been very rewarding and ultimately prepared me very well for my current flying career.
4. Although I'm currently flying professionally, I'd recommend considering computer science, business or perhaps law or medicine. It's too hard to predict the future, so all you can do is try to have a solid background and be adaptable.

PilotOnTheRise said:
For those of you who have a college degree, I have a few questions.

1) Aviation Flight Technology
2) I've always wanted to be a pilot. I got the desire from an uncle who flew F15s and living under the ILS for my local airport since I was 3. I got an AFROTC scholarship so I declined an appointment to USAFA, then subsequently got screwed by DoDMERB on my medical. My path has gone from there...
3) Yes, I would still major in AvTech. The opportunities I've had because of my education have been amazing, taking me further up the career ladder. I would not have gotten my Guard slot without my background.
4) I would rework my schedule to double-major (or at least minor) in Management and also take the required CTI courses for a career in Air Traffic Control. If nothing else, I would at least build my electives around courses that would educate me about starting and running my own business. TAKE A PERSONAL FINANCE CLASS.

B.S. Industrial Technology with a concentration in Aviation Administration
A.S. Commercial Flight

Stopped flying in 92 after getting my SEL/MEL Commercial license. Choose to go to school fulltime while also working fulltime outside of aviation. Flew only occasionally for the next four years.

Finished the degree in 94 and went looking for a full time job outside of flying. Couldn't afford to go work as a flight instrutor. Everywhere I interviewed I'd always get asked why I wasn't out flying...(Guess they figured I wouldn't stay). If I would have had a degree in something else I probably would have wound up getting hired at a few of the places that turned me down.

Went flying full time in 98. If I have to get out of the industry now, I think the degree is worthless. A Business major would have probably been best. I'd have to imagine that anything in a technical field -- computers, engineering, etc. would be useless if you didn't go to work in the field immediately after graduation and stay in it.

If I had to do it over again.. Should have never stopped flying in 92, shouldn't have spent another dime on college. Plenty of decent jobs in aviation that don't require a degree. I'd be 5-6 years further along in my career.

Honest I did not pay socalplt to make that post. Imagine a man who feels he would have been better off in his flying career if he would have just stuck to flying, and maybe have done college on the side. Plus the realization that the fall back value of tech degree in overrated

#1 Economics...opened alot of doors for me, landed my cushy salary job.

#2 Professional Aeronautics...almost complete, hoping to land a job at a regional.

Thanks for the info. everyone. Im thinking about a couple of things right now.

1) Communication Studies - this degree actually opens up a lot of opportunities. You can work in a variety of career fields, including business. I am taking a class in it now, and I find it interesting, and on top of that, it is not too difficult. I think this is somewhat of a generic degree, which really just allows to to go into many different fields.

2) Geography - The school I attend does not have a meteorology degree, but you can major in geography, with a focus in meteorology. It doesn't involve the physics and math that a atmospheric science major, which is a meteorology degree, would involve. Again, interesting, and also not too difficult.

3) or, general studies, which allows you to choose among three minors. I would choose business, communication studies, and not sure what else, maybe geography. This would again, not be difficult, but be a mix of what I like, and also offer me a variety of fields outside of aviation to work in.

Of those three, what do you all think may be best. I know its my decision, but just looking for some advice.

Latest resources

Back