Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

L'il J.Seinfeld

Luckiest man alive
I just jumpseated to work. The gate agent gave me a seat assignment but after I checked in with the capt the FA told me to take a seat anywhere. I chose the cleanest, most sane looking person to sit next to. I did the obligatory head nod "hello" as I sat down next to a guy in his 40s.

He immediately struck up a conversation. He said that he had been on a 6 month expedition photographing wildlife in northern Canada and had not spoken with anyone at length the entire time. He had taken a loud airplane to Hudson Bay and had not been able to speak to the pilot the whole trip, From there he went to some airport and caught a flight to Toronto and then Chicago and slept the entire way.

He began to ask me about my uniform, was I a pilot etc... He asked who won the World Series, when the Super Bowl was and how LSU did in football. I was in the middle of telling him how LSU kicked the crap out of Miami when it donned on me. I asked him where he was from and he said New Orleans. I asked him where he was going and he said to visit some nature magazine editor to sell some of the photos he had spent 6 months taking and after that he was going to visit some friends in the Big Easy. He said he could not wait to spend the night on Bourbon Street and eat some crawfish. I asked if he was married--he was not; if his parents lived in New Orleans--they are deceased; if he had any close family--no siblings and no close relatives. I then asked him if he had any idea of what had been going on in the world since July and he said "not at all."

It took about 5 minutes of me swearing to him that New Orleans was all but wiped out by a Cat IV/V hurricane to get him to believe me. I had to get the FA to back my story. I remember feeling the same way when I found out about 9/11 12 hours after it happened because I was waking up overseas. Pretty much sucked because I've never been to New Orleans and did not even know the specific places he kept asking about.

Hangin' by a thread

Aren't we all just connected by a thin thread anyway?

Your story reminds me of the moose hunters in Alaska that were supposed to get picked up by airplane on Sept 11th. How long was the flight ban? Four days or so?

The pilots brought copies of the newspapers with them so that the hunters would understand why they were so late.

Man- talk about being out of the loop! :erm:

at least he didnt lose anymore family. that kind of story needs to be sent to AOPA or something.

-Dr. Van Nostrin (from the Clinic)

That's amazing and sad too. His joyful homecoming turned to shock.

I had a slightly similar occurence happen long ago... I was at a club in Cold Lake, Canada, during a Maple Flag exercise. The Edmonton imported strippers were hard at it. Next to me was a guy who looked like nothing less than Nanook of the North. He had a brew and was jamming, watching the strippers dance. I asked him what he did for a living.

"Hunt moose."

I talked to him a bit, and his lifestyle boiled down to 6 months in the bush, followed by a trip to town for beer, beans, and a woman, then back out into the wilderness. He didn't care about politics, or anything else. He had a laid-back lifestyle that was pretty fascinating.

Latest resources

Back