• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

You have GOT to be kidding me....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The ADF is more of a trade organization which does nothing for the wage gaps or other arcane ailrine industry policies.

Actually, I think that is in their bylaws, to stay out of union-esque stuff.

I dont think a national union is it either.

Again, I personally will not bring my years of flying and dispatch experience to an airline and prostitute these skills for $30,000 a year or less to start... I made this abundantly clear(nicely and PC) with each Airline hr rep I spoke with during the hiring process.. This of course is not going to make a difference, but if more people would stand up and do the same, if there were a national Organization/ Union setting standards, then the ball game would be much different as the supply of dispatchers dryied up...

ditto. I like what I do and who I do it for, but this is may last aviation job if airlines dont turn things around. Too much money to made outside this industry to whore myself for the wages they are starting out with. If I retire from here, great. If something happens I'm outa' here.

ADF, No way.. But is there an answer?

Actually, I think that is in their bylaws, to stay out of union-esque stuff.

I dont think a national union is it either.

You are correct I am sure... I would NOT expect a group made up of almost entirely senior mainline dispatchers, quite happy with their salaries and the "this is the way things have always been" attitudes.

Why should they care, they got there's! They do good work in other areas of safety and rubbing elbows in DC, I guess, but I just don't hear many changes comming out of their office.

A national union may not be the answer, a single senority list may not be it either, but I think you Might agree that the way things are now is really F.Up with no change in sight..

What do think would make things better for the dispatcher profession and stop the downward spiral of wages, benefits and respect?

Last edited:
What do think would make things better for the dispatcher profession and stop the downward spiral of wages, benefits and respect?

I really wish I knew. At this point in the game, with oil at historic highs (which many forecasters think will continue to increase), the possibility of mergers and/or a recession this year (either of which could put more qualified, experienced people on the street), the traveling public's perception of what air travel should cost, and management's lack of ability or need to pay better wages, I don't know if it will change in time for me to get back in the business. If it takes 10 years at the current pay scales to make a livable wage, then it will take me until my late 50s to get back to what I had when I was 40. I can't afford to put my family through that process.

The unions seem powerless to provide any leverage; just look how effective ALPA has been in stemming the erosion of pilot salaries and work rules. In fact, they seem to inhibit the process, as I have been told by a couple of carriers that they can't offer me anything more for my experience because the union won't allow a "new-hire" to jump so far up the pay scale.

I never wanted to be put in the position of having to choose between doing what I enjoy and feeding my family; I used to be able to do both. I tried a "cubicle job" briefly after I left the airline, and within a month I was going out of my mind with boredom. Still looking for the answer....

I doubt much will change unless the supply of dispatchers declines significantly and/or the demand for experience rises.

For me, its been a mixed bag. Over 8 years with the same company, my pay has increased by about 125% in that time. I make a comfortable amount for where I live, so I feel my pay is fair. Especially considering the schedule. But as everyone here knows, if I ever decided to dispatch anywhere else I know my pay would fall in half and that schedule would be gone.

Thats why I do not intend to dispatch anywhere else. Use your experience, go to school, and prostitute the perks of your current job to get somewhere else.

If you are at an airline that has a terrible QOL and you want to dispatch still, make the tough choice and make the move. If you aren't willing to do that then the airline your at doesn't suck enough or you should change careers.

Either way, if you are a competent dispatcher you should be able to do well for yourself if you sit down and are honest about what path you want to take. I just would get my mind off of how to change the industry and start thinking about how you can fix things to work in your individual best interests.

All good points by Airbrush and Shark.... Since I was a late starter to dispatch and middle age it was very tough to enter the pay ranks but accepted it at the time. But the QOL was hard on the family and commuting became a hugh problem... So I was forced by the staus quo work rules to leave the profession I loved..
Shark is probably right, I am glad for you in that you are happy where your at and it worked out for you in pay and QOL, I missed that opportunity and now I am too old to really care to start over.. SO Airbrush you might heed Shark advise unless you want to end up like me and out of it.. maybe its too late for you as well..

I still believe that change has to start somewhere, an avalanche starts with just a ball of snow and build with time... The airlines have held our passion over our heads as the means to always have a supply of people "willing to work for anything" when we were young dumb and full of , well you know the rest...
Sooner or later and I hink its already happening to some degree, the 23 year olds are not coming to aviation like they once did because they hear what we talk about all the time and then they see it first hand and leave before they get sucked into the black whole of passion verses a real living and family..

Last edited:
Actually, I have been applying some of Shark77's philosophy....just haven't found the right situation. I'm pretty stubborn about staying in aviation if at all possible (stepped out, HATED IT, came back at lower pay for now), but as noted in my previous posts, I'm fairly pessimistic on changing the airline industry. I think the die has been cast for some years to come, possibly the rest of my career for practical purposes, and I am reluctantly looking elsewhere.

Can anyone comment on life at the fractionals? I know that fuel prices could catch them someday as well, but so far they seem almost immune. I've also got a standing offer to be a ground school/sim instructor (for OK but not outstanding pay) if my wife can deal with moving 1200 miles from family and everything we've known for 20 years. We'll see.

I am about to hang it up too guys, this profession was the wrong road for me too take. I have 11 years at ASA, (7 in dispatching) and have done everything at this company under the shining sun. When I walk out the door, they will be smiling on the inside b/c they got the next sucker in here doing my job for 6.00 les an hour. Just basic numbers to them. He might not be able to do my job as well as me, or as effeciently as me, or as safe as me...but he will be worth that 6.00 less and hour in their eyes. If I was worth keeping, when my 2 week notice hits the desk..I would expect someone from upper managment trying to coax me into staying. Just a handshake Im sure and not a secong thought about me, and dont let the door hit you in the #$%^ on the way out.

Random question

Are there any dxr's here that have a merit-pay system or is everyone on a scale?

If you're on a scale, and if your company starts cutting people due to downsizing ("rightsizing"), do you get a severance package? For those that work in union shops, do you have contractual language that covers this stuff?

As you know, Comair (dba Delta's w/o regional beyotch) is "rightsizing" and fewer a/c equals fewer dispatchers. I'm curious to know what other dispatchers at other companies might receive if/when things get "rightsized".

Latest resources

Back