You are Marooned

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rumpletumbler

You have 1 house of your own design on an island. You have a 12,000ft long and 200ft wide runway with full ILS, NDB, VOR, GPS, approaches. You have all the lighting anyone could want. Your needs are taken care of for the next 10 years food and utility, maintenance, and fuel wise. You may not land at any other airport other than your own. You may choose two airplanes of your specification which will be at your disposal. If you have no training in said aircraft you are on your own to train yourself. You may bring your family and you can choose the other two families and or persons who will live next to you during this period as there will be two other houses. The period will last for 10 years. There will be no phones, internet, television, etc. The only electronics will be aboard the aircraft you choose. You will have access to a library which will contain the information you choose before being put on the island. Tools will be limited to those which will maintain your dwelling. There will be one additional dwelling which will house a full time mechanic who is expert on the aircraft you specify. So what/who would you choose? This is for the recluse at heart.

RT

Since I can't land at any other airport but my own, there is no need to get one to carry my family and their luggage, so entertainment would be the primary reason for the airplane. That means that I wouldn't need room for luggage or people so the only choices would be the highest performing American airplanes ever built; anF-16CJ and an F-22. Of course maybe I would have to get a DJ so I could give people rides....naaa, 2 seat airplanes suck!!!

I'd bust out

10 years? Any nearly sane person would be permanently cured of the desire to fly within 10 months.

I'd take this plane,or maybe this one, stripped for extra range, and with almost all useful load devoted to extra fuel tanks. This way I could obey the no other airport prohibition and still escape this pretty hell.

anything on floats.....so I could go fishin.....:D

Ah forget that,
Get a harrier or the osprey. You don't need an airport to land either one of those. You have all the hard points you need for luggage in the harrier, and the osprey will carry the family and luggage. I think they also have a two seat version of the harrier.

:D

Alone. Entirely alone. Not a cell phone, not a pet.

I'd opt for a basket case airplane with all the age-encrusted parts in milk crates necessary to put it together. Something simple; a Cessna 140, metalized, with no paint.

I'd savor the first year of the restoration, and relish in the second year, nothing but bringing up the airframe and wings to a mirror finish in which you could shave, or reflect the sun enough to signal some other world.

Then I'd fly it, and savor that for all it's exquisite extasy. Soon I'd opt for another, a basket case, probably a T-6 desparately in need of some help. That would last almost three painstaking years, until the first flight, and I'd revel in that, too. The R-1340 would be meticulously restored; it wouldn't leak, it would be perfect. The metal would be all but transparent from so many thousand hours of small circles of finger-tip rubbed polish. A small reef would be born off the beach where I tossed each can of Mother's aluminum rubbing compound.

The two airplanes would sit side by side, reflecting moonlight by eve, and the red glow of dawn in the morn. I would sit in the cockpit and let the wind blow through my hair, and lay my head against the turtledeck at night to sleep. I would become a part of the airplane, and it of me, until one morning I would awake to question where my fingertips end and the stick begins; my feet melding with rudder pedals and my ears to the vestibular vocal passages of the exhaust collector.

Then, after five years of spiritual solitude, one day I would be struck with the profound solemnity of my existance. I would feel the hole in a man's heart that tells him his existance was never meant to be for one. Inside I would cry out for companionship, realising that metal and fabric and oil can never take the place of life, however dear an idol it may become.

At length the silent prayer of the heart would be answered, and as if sent from heaven, a small monkey would crawl from a palm tree and present itself as a gift from God; a pet, a friend, a companion. A child, something to nurture, to comfort, to talk to. I would feed it, care for it, name it (anything but wilson).

Then one day, without warning, it would bite me, a little too hard. I would swing it by the tail, snapping it's little neck before tossing it's lifeless little body onto the reef made of Mother's aluminum rubbing compound cans. It would sit there in the sun, it's little monkey eyes plucked out by seagulls, and it's rotting hairy body picked apart by unknowning crabs.

Then, with four and a half years left to go on that rat hole of an island, stuck with nothing but two airplanes and a bunch of tools to keep me company, I'd kill myself.

That's what I'd do.

Latest resources

Back