"You are exiting class B"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

IslandDriver

So I am flying into a Class B primary airport. I am a 121 carrier. Why is it important for the controller to tell be I am exiting class B?

Because if you're exiting the Class B but you're still under the lateral limits, you need to slow to 200 knots. It's uncommon, but it happens. Section 7-9-3 of the ATC manual (the 7110.65) requires the controller to inform you of this:

7-9-3. METHODS
a. To the extent practical, clear large turbine engine‐powered airplanes to/from the primary airport using altitudes and routes that avoid VFR corridors and airspace below the Class B airspace floor where VFR aircraft are operating.

NOTE-
Pilots operating in accordance with VFR are expected to advise ATC if compliance with assigned altitudes, headings, or routes will cause violation of any part of the CFR.

b. Vector aircraft to remain in Class B airspace after entry. Inform the aircraft when leaving and reentering Class B airspace if it becomes necessary to extend the flight path outside Class B airspace for spacing.

NOTE-
14 CFR Section 91.131 states that “Unless otherwise authorized by ATC, each person operating a large turbine engine‐powered airplane to or from a primary airport for which a Class B airspace area is designated must operate at or above the designated floors of the Class B airspace area while within the lateral limits of that area.” Such authorization should be the exception rather than the rule.

Because if you're exiting the Class B but you're still under the lateral limits, you need to slow to 200 knots. It's uncommon, but it happens. Section 7-9-3 of the ATC manual (the 7110.65) requires the controller to inform you of this:

Also, when you are in the Class "B", ATC is providing separation from all traffic. Nobody is (should be) in the Class "B" without an ATC clearance. When you exit the Class "B", you must resume see and avoid for VFR traffic as aircraft are often not under ATC control in those areas.

Of course it's a good idea to keep your eyes peeled in Class "B" as well...

Last edited:
Reminds me of a story:

I was flying into KMCO on a nice VFR day. Some single engine trainer comes on the approach control freq and says he needs to get to MCO, doesn't have a transponder but does have the waiver on board.

Approach says "okay, where are you?" the piston tells him and approach goes nuts. The guy was buried deep inside the class B and right on the arrival corridor. After approach found his primary return a whole bunch of vectors to IFR traffic came and then a phone number for the piston to copy came in a very terse tone.

Seems he thought his little waiver to operate in class B without a transponder gave him permission to just blast right into it.

I'm sure that controller gained a few grey hairs that day! The above poster is right, keep your eyes peeled. TCAS wouldn't have even saved you from that guy.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back