Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PUNISHER

You got any tinfoil?
For all the YIP guys, What the heck is that military looking compound on the East side of the field? It's right off of beck rd and has a U of M sign at the gate.

If you are talking about those old military planes, that is the Yankee Museum.

you open your eyes when you go to YIP? aren't you afraid you will turn to stone if you look the beast that is willowrun in the face?

That is the old USAF Air Defence Intercept Radar unit for the Detroit area. In the cold war if the bad guys came across the pole, the radar would direct the interceptors toward their targets. In the back of the facility there is the base of hte old radar station. It was shut down in the 50's. U of M used it for Dept of Defense work up until the end of the Vietnam War. They still do something there, maybe it is area 51 east?

Hey PilotYip, I used to work out of YIP several years ago. I always wondered what the weird metal things in the field on the east side of the airport are? I don't remember the name of the road but they are easily visible when you drive the perimeter road that ends up going by Kalitta, etc. Are those the radar things you are talking about, or are you talking about something different? And if you are talking about something different, do you have any idea what the things are that I am talking about? Just curious.

Last edited:
Those where put up by IRRUM, that where used for setting geographic points to verify radar imagery. The U of M developed the synthetic side scanning imagery radar during the Vietnam ear. IRRUM was doing DOD work under the cover environmental research.

Those where put up by IRRUM, that where used for setting geographic points to verify radar imagery. The U of M developed the synthetic side scanning imagery radar during the Vietnam ear. IRRUM was doing DOD work under the cover environmental research.

It's actually ERIM, Environmental Research Institute of Michigan. All DOD stuff.

They had a building in Ann Arbor and went by that name to disguise the nature of their work from the local tree huggers. They were doing Laser tracking stuff with airplanes as late as 93-94 that I know of. Used a Caribou (now parked) and a Convair. Still see their Convair (dome on the bottom) flying around every once in a while.

Hi!

Mushroom: I posted a complete explaination of those triangle thingys in the field, short of 27L a while ago-I'll just summarize it here.

They are actually a type of alien "VOR" navigation tool, that the aliens use when travelling to earth. YIP is their base.

cliff
GRB

Hi!

Mushroom: I posted a complete explaination of those triangle thingys in the field, short of 27L a while ago-I'll just summarize it here.

They are actually a type of alien "VOR" navigation tool, that the aliens use when travelling to earth. YIP is their base.

cliff
GRB

:laugh:

By the way, Punisher, I flew the plane in your avatar (as so many others did as well). Not in an airshow though. Although working for Connie was kind of like a constant airshow. Or sideshow. Or something...

:laugh:

Although working for Connie was kind of like a constant airshow. Or sideshow. Or something...

Circus!:D

Ah...ol' N13SN...the Barry Seal bird. Pretty sure Bobby Younkin wasn't the first to fly it in an "air show".

Latest resources

Back