• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

YGBSM: Around the World in Columbia 400

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
thats what I've been saying, but everyone thinks I'm nuts.

he's promoting racial division, more than anything else, all these pro-race morons are

Metro752 said:
thats what I've been saying, but everyone thinks I'm nuts.

he's promoting racial division, more than anything else, all these pro-race morons are

Think you're getting riled up about nothing. He's using what he has to get a free ride. If he had one leg, he could be the first physically challenged male to fly round the world -so he's African American. Other than a few narrow minded individuals, I doubt many see this as his promoting racial bias. Wish I'd thought of it - I could be the first old, bald Italian American to make the flight. :)

It's NO BIG DEAL - except that he's the lucky one.

Just MHO,

Vic

This reads more like a case of envy to me. How many scholarships have you set up, Paul? How many cities have you visited to set up aviation workshops? How many young people have been empowered by your efforts to demonstrate for them a possible pathway out of the cycle of poverty?

What Barrington is doing now and will continue to do is admirable, honorable, and worthy of respect, not the ridicule you seem intent to heap on him.

You should be ashamed of yourself for having demonstrated such a petty, narrow and vindictive worldview.

Rev. Fr. Bill+

n4gix said:
This reads more like a case of envy to me. How many scholarships have you set up, Paul? How many cities have you visited to set up aviation workshops? How many young people have been empowered by your efforts to demonstrate for them a possible pathway out of the cycle of poverty?

What Barrington is doing now and will continue to do is admirable, honorable, and worthy of respect, not the ridicule you seem intent to heap on him.

You should be ashamed of yourself for having demonstrated such a petty, narrow and vindictive worldview.

Rev. Fr. Bill+

Bill, thanks for posting...doubt that anyone could have said it better:cool:

n4gix said:

Rev. Fr. Bill+

Well said Reverand. I think you hit the nail on the head. Oh yeah, and welcome to the board.

Last edited:
Van Hooydonk said:
I have to admit you have a point on the solo thing. [Oh yeah, and the dorky uniform.] I can understand that the sponsors would want PR people to be placed along his route, and to have a camera there to document it, but having a chase plane follow the guy [if that is the case] is lame, and defeats the entire purpose of the flight in my view as well.
How is Barrington's "uniform" any different than that of say, a NASCAR driver? Sponsors want their patches and logos displayed. One or more of 'em provided the "uniforms," on which to sew the patches and logos. Maybe Barrington should have allowed them to be tatooed on instead? :eek:

How is this "chase plane" different from the ones used by other round-the-worlders? The point is to (1) use it as a camera platform, (2) provide logistical support, and (3) be able to arrive prior to him to act as pre-arrival liason. That's precisely why the "chase plane" will be a bizjet! ;)

The "post" that Paul (the OP) so brazenly copied (without permission I might add) was authored by me, not Ron Hamilton, who had copied it in toto from yet a third website's forum with my explicit knowledge and permission.

Rev. Fr. Bill+

Last edited:
n4gix said:
How is Barrington's "uniform" any different than that of say, a NASCAR driver? Sponsors want their patches and logos displayed. One or more of 'em provided the "uniforms," on which to sew the patches and logos. Maybe Barrington should have allowed them to be tatooed on instead? :eek:

How is this "chase plane" different from the ones used by other round-the-worlders? The point is to (1) use it as a camera platform, (2) provide logistical support, and (3) be able to arrive prior to him to act as pre-arrival liason. That's precisely why the "chase plane" will be a bizjet! ;)

The "post" that Paul (the OP) so brazenly copied (without permission I might add) was authored by me, not Ron Hamilton, who had copied it in toto from yet a third website's forum with my explicit knowledge and permission.

Rev. Fr. Bill+

Rev, it is my personal opinion that the flight suit is dorky. The guy is flying a Cirrus not an F18. Perhaps he could wear a polo shirt with the sponsors logos embroidered on it. I think the fact that he appears in many of the photos to be wearing the flight suit when he is nowhere near a plane, adds to the dork factor. I wonder how often Neil Armstrong wore his space suit, when hanging out back at the hanger or speaking to kids in school?

Regarding the chase plane, I think it detracts from the adventure aspect of the flight. Sure, I can understand having a plane fly alongside him to snap some photos for the first 50 miles or so, and having people stationed along part of the route to meet and greet. It is my opinion, that much of the adventure and daring of a solo round-the-world trip, is landing at strange locations by yourself, and learning to interact with people of other cultures. It is not arriving in a place like Dar es Salaam, to be greeted by your "handlers" who arrived in a Citation X 5 hours earlier and took care of arrangements for fueling your plane and gathering weather info for your next leg, etc.. For that reason, I think a chase plane for the entire flight is lame.

Lastly, regarding the posts that you allege Paul "brazenly copied"; he did not claim them to be his own work and he did make an honest attempt to attribute them to the source he obtained them from. I am quite confident this falls within the "fair use" provisions protecting freedom of speach and that Paul has done absolutely nothing wrong in copying them without your express permission.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back