• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tweaker

BOHICA
http://www.terrafugia.com/aircraft.html

1) How rare is it to be able to buy autogas at FBOs? Fuel stops will be frequent, but you must land at airport, then exit to drive to gas station!

2) Useful load is 430 lbs. Fuel tanks hold 20 gallons. I weigh 205.

430-170-205 = 55 lbs. for my clothing, belongings, extra equipment.

This is a single passenger vehicle and for some not even that!

Spectacular failure will inevitably result.

Good, as the highways are already saturated with ineptitude, let them stay there while we pilots eat cake.

I'd like to know how much would it cost to insure a 20 hr sport pilot?
But, then again....if you have $194K to throw away, you can afford to be stupid and kill yourself....!
:D

I'd like to know how much would it cost to insure a 20 hr sport pilot?
But, then again....if you have $194K to throw away, you can afford to be stupid and kill yourself....!
:D

I've wondered about the insurance price implications that arise from operations on public roadways. Replacement costs are in the exotic car range. Pricing in the cost of an at fault fender bender looks like a big premium bump in and of itself.

I have never tried to insure an automobile with my aviation carrier. Guess the aviation carrier would underwrite the road going exposure; maybe reinsure that side of the product. I have no idea how underwriting a road going aviation exposure would work in real life.

I'm guessing some rather expensive premiums. Just for S&Gs. I think I'll call my broker and ask her opinion.

Yep, this is a stupid idea for an airplane. If you want to make an airplane/car, at least make it look like something you would want to be seen driving around in. It has lousy specs as an airplane and I'd be too embarassed to be seen driving it. Is it really that difficult for the engineer to realize they're building an ugly POS that won't sell?

Now this is an incredible airplane that all others should model themselves after.
http://www.dynaeromcr.com/

It weighs about 1000 pounds, can cruise at 150 knots with a 100hp Rotax engine, 170kts with the 115hp version, burns 5.5 gal/hr, uses auto gas, and with long range tanks can fly for up to 1700 miles. It has a climb rate of 2000fpm, is super quiet, has incredible visibility, and has more interior shoulder room than a Cessna 172. Oh yeah, and a single person can install or remove the wings in 10 minutes and store it in a trailer, so no expensive hangar rental is required. Plus there is a 4-seat version available.

Too bad the American company that was selling them went out of business and trying to get them here is a pain in the rear.

Last edited:
Now this is an incredible airplane that all others should model themselves after.
http://www.dynaeromcr.com/

It weighs about 1000 pounds, can cruise at 150 knots with a 100hp Rotax engine, 170kts with the 115hp version, burns 5.5 gal/hr, uses auto gas, and with long range tanks can fly for up to 1700 miles. It has a climb rate of 2000fpm, is super quiet, has incredible visibility, and has more interior shoulder room than a Cessna 172. Oh yeah, and a single person can install or remove the wings in 10 minutes and store it in a trailer, so no expensive hangar rental is required. Plus there is a 4-seat version available.

Too bad the American company that was selling them went out of business and trying to get them here is a pain in the rear.

Your link is dead. What I found was an airplane not a flying car when I searched dynaeromcr.

http://www.terrafugia.com/aircraft.html

1) How rare is it to be able to buy autogas at FBOs? Fuel stops will be frequent, but you must land at airport, then exit to drive to gas station!

2) Useful load is 430 lbs. Fuel tanks hold 20 gallons. I weigh 205.

430-170-205 = 55 lbs. for my clothing, belongings, extra equipment.

This is a single passenger vehicle and for some not even that!

Spectacular failure will inevitably result.

Good, as the highways are already saturated with ineptitude, let them stay there while we pilots eat cake.

Useful load is actually listed at 460 lbs and the fuel tanks hold 23 gallons of fuel. It's still a one person aircraft unless you have two smallish people with little to no luggage and a relatively short flight.

Latest resources

Back