• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Xtra Airways

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sold last year to Avion group. An offshoot of AirAtlanta (Iceland Air, XL Airways, etc). Recently sold again to XL Leisure group. Expected move, just really put the travel (air seat mile for sale) part in an more appropriate part of the overall organization. In the process of taking delivery of 3 new (6-9 months old) 737-800s. This is added to the 3 737-400s already on property. In effect, doubling the size of the company. Couple of 6 month to 2 year contracts signed, doing some of the work, Transmeridian, PanAm, NorthAmerican, etc. etc, etc. used to have. Currently on a pay freeze. were told last year it would be lifted, still not. First year captain pay is $59 per hour. FO's are at $43, I think. That is year 2 pay, but there was talk of going back to year one pay again, which is $39. Very mom and pop. Some things I reallylike, some not so much. When you upgrade, you will go back to year one pay (ca). Other thing is, they have hired recently several "street" captains. this bypassed some current FO's at the company that had EXACTLY the same quals as the new guys. No rhyme or reason.

Over all, like I said, I like going to work. Sometimes its for much longer than I would like, but other times, Im not flying enough. guess that means Im a real airline pilot. never satisfied:beer: . I have been at a regional before here, (Independence) and was corporate and freight before that. Gotta do something, might as well be this, right?

Our new bases are:

JFK
GYY
BOS
BLI
ENV
SDF (will close in spring)

First year captain $59/hr? Please tell me that was a misprint. Holy cr&p, that's like first year regional turboprop pay!

Dont mean to start a rumor, but I've heard that you pay for your type at Xtra. For instance, youv'e been at the company for a while and if you want to upgrade, you pay for a type rating to do so. (This doesn't make sense to me, because you have to go to the sim for recurrent anyway, why not throw on the extra maneuvers. This is just what someone who researched the company told me.) I heard that is why fo's might get bypassed for the upgrade.

Any validity?

No. Its not true. What did happen though, was they have been typing FO's when hired. They also told a few guys that they hired, they would do the same for them. But when time came, they didnt. Only a few of them, but thats all it took. And, a couple that were bypassed, were already typed. Not sure why, thats just what happened.

First year captain $59/hr? Please tell me that was a misprint. Holy cr&p, that's like first year regional turboprop pay!

Believe me, I with I had just hit the wrong keys, but I didnt. Yup it it low and it sucks, paywise. I do like the company, though overall. The pay is the hardest thing to deal with, and I think if it doesnt change soon, more will leave.

Does the company hire to a particluar base? I live out west and would prefer not to commute transcon.

Is BLI new? Has it been staffed yet? TDY? or permanent based?

The west bases are our most senior, for captains and fo's too.

Believe me, I with I had just hit the wrong keys, but I didnt. Yup it it low and it sucks, paywise. I do like the company, though overall. The pay is the hardest thing to deal with, and I think if it doesnt change soon, more will leave.

Well for a major airline our pay sucks too. Third year FO $68/hr. I live out west and sent them an e-mail. I wasn't interested though when I found out the basing isn't guaranteed. Phoenix is a long enough commute for me.

Good place to get on and get your time in and get out. Better than a regional in some ways but not good enough to stay at long term. I probably would not leave a regional to go there but go there instead. Then MOVE ON. Bill Nash is still there just not the CP anymore as it was only a temp thing when the last one left and they were looking for a new one.

Fun flying and with the new equipment comming that will help upgrade time.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back