• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
IMHO

- Hiring Siegel

- Being non-union

- Firing 23 pilots and 10 office workers and then
Celebrating with a Xmas party

Sure makes this place less desirable!

Ignoring all other arguments/comments, maybe, for a large party in SFO, they would have been hit with serious costs if they cancelled the venue at short notice?? Can't win either way then. And I bet the party was organized by one dept, & any lay-offs by another - $100 says they didn't talk to each other!

unsolicited advice

IMHO

- Hiring Siegel

- Being non-union

- Firing 23 pilots and 10 office workers and then
Celebrating with a Xmas party

Sure makes this place less desirable!

This summer I interviewed with XOJ. And I spent considerable time talking to employees at all levels. I was impressed. Now a series of challenges has befallen XOJ and others. Problems foist upon us all by the individual and collective actions of others. Those problems are causing most organizations and individuals to revisit the assumptions which underlie their plans. It's not pretty for anybody.

When I visited it was clear that the place was a meritocracy so their method of reduction did not surprise me. If all pilots were equal then I suspect I'd object. But we are not. And in the fractional business there is a skill set beyond takeoffs and landings that are valuable. I don't buy the argument that the bottom guy should go so as to protect some slug who got there first. The sense of entitlement undermines an effort to be the best.

The real problem facing XOJ and others is how to take a bad situation and make the best of it. How to insure that the place 122 guys loved working does not become a place of suspicion, distrust and anger for the 99 still working. This will require effort and and a willingness to understand events outside the cockpit. Not the wishful thinking of dreamers who want it to be different when circumstances prevent it.

So my advice is this: don't let the hard choices compelled by events to rob you of what might otherwise be a good workplace. Find the silver lining, threadbare as it might be.

caseyd

I hate it for the 23 let go, especially just before Christmas. I wonder what the memo said for the remaining employees?

"We are sorry to inform you that we have terminated 23 of our hardest workers that have made this company a success. All remaining employees are required to attend the Christmas party and you WILL have fun!!"

And then the memo to management:

"I'm happy to inform you that there will be an extra suprise for you at Christmas! It looks like we will end up the year with a surplus due to employ cutbacks. Expect a 25% increase over your bonus of last year. Thanks for your hard work and dedication to make the company a success."

This summer I interviewed with XOJ. And I spent considerable time talking to employees at all levels. I was impressed. Now a series of challenges has befallen XOJ and others. Problems foist upon us all by the individual and collective actions of others. Those problems are causing most organizations and individuals to revisit the assumptions which underlie their plans. It's not pretty for anybody.

When I visited it was clear that the place was a meritocracy so their method of reduction did not surprise me. If all pilots were equal then I suspect I'd object. But we are not. And in the fractional business there is a skill set beyond takeoffs and landings that are valuable. I don't buy the argument that the bottom guy should go so as to protect some slug who got there first. The sense of entitlement undermines an effort to be the best.

The real problem facing XOJ and others is how to take a bad situation and make the best of it. How to insure that the place 122 guys loved working does not become a place of suspicion, distrust and anger for the 99 still working. This will require effort and and a willingness to understand events outside the cockpit. Not the wishful thinking of dreamers who want it to be different when circumstances prevent it.

So my advice is this: don't let the hard choices compelled by events to rob you of what might otherwise be a good workplace. Find the silver lining, threadbare as it might be.

caseyd

I don't buy fuloughing out of seniority, period. It creates, by it very nature, a distrust among employees. At what point do you stop for saftey or are you are afraid that some gold digger trying to work his trying to the top will undermine your decision and report you, etc...

If an interviewer is decent you will be weeded out from the beginning. We are self serving by nature as humans, loyalty is hard to come by. XOjet will continue to eat their own now. What choice do they have?? Do you think Cherry is going to defy someone senior, or someone senior would defy him, even in the name of safety and wonder if they are not going to be turned in. Sorry, you can tell me all day long that it will not happen, but there is a reason that folks were fired out of seniority. Some may have stepped on their own d**ks, but others I'm sure were turned in.

Do not mistake this for some rah, rah union thing. The thing I like best about NJA, now, is that they appear to be working with the company. If and possibly when that changes, that will be a battle for another day.

In aviation, we all start from the bottom, thats how it works. Its unfortunate, because there are folks that have experience, go that extra mile for the company and not paid based on experience but based on seniority. If you don't like that system, work in a field that pays based on your experience and skill set.

What XO did was wrong, plain and simple. Although, it's tough to feel sorry for those being furloughed out of order because they knew what they were breeding and they made that choice. I am sorry that there were furloughs at all. It tough times.

Cherry, this was not meant to be a personal attack on you. I am happy you are able to continue to provide for your family.

(Forgive the mis-spellings)

I don't know the details of your party, but having been involved in planning large events, contracts with the hotel and catering are signed, and money is committed well in advance.
It might have been a situation where cancelling the party would not have saved money.

I don't know the details of your party, but having been involved in planning large events, contracts with the hotel and catering are signed, and money is committed well in advance.
It might have been a situation where cancelling the party would not have saved money.

Right, like the 400K party AIG threw after getting the government bailout. The money was already spent, so why cancel.

Do you think Cherry is going to defy someone senior, or someone senior would defy him, even in the name of safety and wonder if they are not going to be turned in. Sorry, you can tell me all day long that it will not happen, but there is a reason that folks were fired out of seniority.

Cherry, this was not meant to be a personal attack on you. I am happy you are able to continue to provide for your family.

REALLY??? Why would you write this whole example, using my name, and then tell us that its not personal! There is a tactful way of doing things my friend, and that's NOT the way to do it. You could have said "a XOJet pilot".

The way you wrote this makes it sound like I turned people in in order to keep my job... There is no way I would ever do that or anyone else here would. You guys can talk about this all day long but we are all still happy and still like our jobs.

When Netjets start to furlough after Christmas, tell me how you like your union working with the company then...
Good luck to you all, but if you think Netjets is going to be immune to this, your in for a world of hurt, especially if YOUR at the bottom of the list!

REALLY??? Why would you write this whole example, using my name, and then tell us that its not personal! There is a tactful way of doing things my friend, and that's NOT the way to do it. You could have said "a XOJet pilot".

The way you wrote this makes it sound like I turned people in in order to keep my job... There is no way I would ever do that or anyone else here would. You guys can talk about this all day long but we are all still happy and still like our jobs.

When Netjets start to furlough after Christmas, tell me how you like your union working with the company then...
Good luck to you all, but if you think Netjets is going to be immune to this, your in for a world of hurt, especially if YOUR at the bottom of the list!
Being at the the bottom of the list here at Net Jets, I appreciate the early furlough notice. If I am indeed furloughed, I will hold my head high and look for work somewhere else until I can come back to NJA. I take pride in my work and bust my tail every flight too make Net Jets a better place. Does that make me more deserving to keep my job than the other 2800 some odd pilots ahead of me? I don't think so. Did XO have that many bad apples that made it easy to let them go?I really am curious as too how your MERIT system works there at XO Jet. The more you type, the more desperate you sound.

Diesel, you are right, throwing an elaborate expensive Christmas party would be inappropriate. On the other hand, having an inexpensive gathering to celebrate this important season with fellow employees and possibly their families, maybe that is OK too. I know here we have cut it way back from normal, but this is the time of year to celebrate our blessings, to appreciate what we have not moan about what we do not. I had cancer this year, trust me I am celebrating this time and my job is not too revelent to the moment.

Latest resources

Back