• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

XO Jet.....More aircraft?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No more IFIS...since we're 100% wifi/iPad/jeppview equipped, I guess the bean counters saw the IFIS subscription as an expensive redundancy. One less database to update for the crews every 2 weeks...

Your pilot's are authorized to update the Nav Data Base and Jepp charts? Hmmm, thought that was forbidden for pilot's to do when operating 135? Our FSDO/POI says it's a "maintenance function" and we are prohibited from doing it.

Your pilot's are authorized to update the Nav Data Base and Jepp charts? Hmmm, thought that was forbidden for pilot's to do when operating 135? Our FSDO/POI says it's a "maintenance function" and we are prohibited from doing it.

Must be a POI thing. We've gone back and forth with the Nav data base at NJA and presently can do them-in some fleets anyway. Jepps are Ipad based in all our fleets for the present, but with the new avionics I would think they'll also be available on the MFD's, and require additional approval for us to do.

It must be a difference of opinion between FSDOs/POIs, our guy has never had an issue so far as I know. Our MX directs the updates and keeps track of the status, so perhaps that's all our POI cares about. This was how we operated while under EJMs 135 certificate as well years ago.

Saw N635XJ flying out west recently, thought XO dropped the 605s. You guys sell it or is it still yours?

I think it's still for sale, we just use it once in awhile to keep the dust off it and when demand has the rest of the fleet working at max capacity.

Nope we can do it too.

From the "other" site we're not allowed to mention here. Which is why I asked the question.

From the latest AINmxReports:

NATA: Database Updates Are Maintenance Tasks
The National Air Transportation Association (NATA), responding to recent member requests, issued a statement that clarifies FAA regulations that apply to updates of navigational databases used on modern avionics. The FAA changed the Part 43 Appendix A regulations in 1996, according to NATA, and classified database updates as preventive maintenance instead of maintenance. This change allowed pilots operating under Part 91 regulations to perform database updates, but as NATA noted, “for aircraft maintained under Part 135, the tasks must be completed by a technician. Many operators find this surprising, as typically navigational updates are very simple to accomplish using a memory flash drive or similar device.” And even though installing a database update seems like a simple task, because it is classified as a maintenance task the person performing the update must make a proper entry in the maintenance records, NATA noted. Preventive maintenance items listed in Part 43 Appendix A count as maintenance whether a pilot operating under Part 91 or an FAA-certified technician is performing the task.

Recently our POI changed our ability to update FMS nav databases with the language "or qualified individual" provided that our Chief Inspector is emailed the database cycle and install date.
CC

It's pretty tough inserting a Zip drive into a USB slot and following the instructions... I'm certain every owner operator pays for an A&P to come out and spend two hours doing so....

NJA pilot's have been trained to update the database....just like they are trained to collar certain circuit breakers, as they pertain to MEL

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back