• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

XM or Sirius at Altitude??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I second that.. Stern sucks.. O and A party rock! spread the virus. But seriously, some heating elements embedded in the windows do block satellite signals, not just sat radio, but GPS, and everything. Side windows work the best with an actualy antenna placed up there.
So the merger has not gone through yet.... I didn't say it was a rumor, I know they announced they would like to merge, that doesn't mean it has happened yet, Karmazin and Parsons were in conference calls this past week with the dept. of justice and, other govt entities discussing it, they don't even have a name for the new company yet anyways. If it does go through, it will not be until later in the year the new company is formed.
And XM does have satellites in orbit. They also have signal repeaters on the ground in most larger cities so that your receiver can pick up that signal when going through tunnels or around areas with large buildings that may block the satellite signal, so your tunes don't cut out. Or if you have a portable unit, you can have it in your pocket or wherever and still get the repeater signal.

I have the Stiletto Sirius portable radio. I rigged it up to the intercom in the flightdeck and used the headset antenna that came with it and it works well. There are some times when I lose the signal, but just have to shift the headset antenna and usually finds the signal. Still looking for a better antenna for it though.

XM is a better technical system, but Sirius has Jimmy Buffet. End of discusion, Sirius is the only choice.

I hope the merger will result in Jimmy being on XM, in the fullness of time.

Latest resources

Back