Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

starchkr

New Bus driver
To help me make up my mind as to if i take an offer or not...

Does Xjet type their newhires right away so that they may log PIC for the legs they fly? If not, when do they type them, is it only at upgrade to Capt or after a certain amount of time?

Also wondering for those that might have some helpful insight...

My company will give me free type and an ATP at my one year anniversary in the lear(less than six months from now). Would you hang out and get the free upgrades to the liscense and take a hit on seniority at another airline, or would you forgo the type and take the seniority?

Thanks in advance

From what I know, you do not get your type from XJT until you upgrade.
To answer your question about your situation (and I am in the same boat as you), I would definately take the seniority number if being in the airlines is your ultimate goal. Now if you like corporate (91 or 135) then stay and make good contacts with those you work around.
Good luck to whatever you decide!

starchkr said:

Does Xjet type their newhires right away so that they may log PIC for the legs they fly? If not, when do they type them, is it only at upgrade to Capt or after a certain amount of time?

You won't see a type at XJet until you upgrade to Captain, company is too cheap to type the FO's. Right now that could be anywhere from 3 to 10 years depending on a lot of things out of everyone's control. As far as loging PIC from the right seat goes, you may pad your personal logbook that way but no airline will ever count that time as PIC. The way they look at it, if you don't put your name in the a/c logbook and sign the paperwork then you aren't the PIC ever.

If I were you I'd take the free type and ATP in the Lear, hang out and see how the airlines play out over the next year and then not only will you be more marketable but you'll have a better idea which if any airline you might want to go to if you still want to do that.

Personally if I could make just a little more than what I make now to make up for the loss of flight benifits, I would go back to corporate in a hearbeat as long as it would be a steady job with little risk of being let go. At least I'd be home a lot more.

starchkr said:

My company will give me free type and an ATP at my one year anniversary in the lear(less than six months from now). Would you hang out and get the free upgrades to the liscense and take a hit on seniority at another airline, or would you forgo the type and take the seniority?

Thanks in advance

1. No, XJT doesn't type new hires

2. Even if they did, you cannot log PIC when you are NFP. The PIC is the Captain - the person who signs the release. All of that Part 91 stuff about "sole manipulator" is worthless at the airlines. Airlines care about CFR Part 1 PIC time, nothing less.

3. If your goal is to fly for an airline, get the seniority now. A type in a Lear isn't worth several hundred numbers. Trust me. You will be typed when you upgrade at XJT and that ride is your ATP ride as well.

Sam

If I had been hired one month earlier I wouldn't have been furloughed...:(

If you want to work for an airline, take the first opportunity you have at one of your goal airlines.

Trust me, seniority is everything..

Oh, by the way, did I mention that seniority is everything? :)

Cheers,

scotts

starchkr said:

Thanks in advance

Same as above. If you are in an A/C that has 2 required crewmembers one person is PIC and one is SIC. You would be the SIC and can only log as such. We have many guys typed in the A/C but are SIC so cannot be PIC.

If you have a job offer at Express you may be at the top of 300+ new hires this year. Thats a lot. And if CAL starts taking the people it promised jobs to in the next 2 years you could move up another 400+ numbers. If you want to go to Express the time is now. If you wait a year.....I wouldn't bother.

To answer your question I need to clarify something. Your bio shows that you're a Capt., in what? If its turbine time, stay there and continue to build turbine PIC time. THIS MY FRIEND IS GOLDEN!!! I took the same advice that you're getting, "Get the seniority number, etc..." You will be more marketable with turbine PIC time v.s. a seniority number with an airline that has you furloughed, or an airline that ceased operations. I'm living proof. I have over 3,000 hrs SIC in a DC-8 and I've had trouble landing a job because the competition all has turbine PIC. Now I'm forced to start all over and begin at the regional level once again. The majors will hire your whether you have Part 135 or 121 experience. DO NOT believe for a moment that you have no chance on getting on with a major if you have no Part 121 experience. TURBINE PIC TIME IS GOLDEN!!! If your getting it now and don't have at least 1,000 hours in type stay with it until you do. Just remember, you can have tons of type ratings, but they don't mean a thing and some airlines won't even consider that quality time unless you have at least 1,000 hrs in type.

charlie1 said:
If its turbine time, stay there and continue to build turbine PIC time. THIS MY FRIEND IS GOLDEN!!! I took the same advice that you're getting, "Get the seniority number, etc..." You will be more marketable with turbine PIC time v.s. a seniority number with an airline that has you furloughed, or an airline that ceased operations. I'm living proof.

My point exactly. Give yourself plenty of options instead of grabbing the first seniority number that comes along. Sitting at the bottom of some seniority list right now is about as risky as it gets as far as job security goes. If you really want to come to this unstable, unpredictable, overworked and underpaid industry, do it with careful consideration first.

Yes waiting another year will cost you several hundred seniority numbers but that's a choice you'll have to make for yourself.

Latest resources

Back