• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

XJ: Shuold I stay or should I go?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
well, the issue for me is taking a regional job that starts out at 19 an hour, sure most regionals go right to like 38 an hour.....thats right people it would take 7 years at mesaba to make what a second year FO at most regionals. But that first year is a killer, could you imagine commuting to make 15 grand somewhere....while making house payments and such! wow.....now for captains, who are going to places that actually pay something reasonable first year, i would be gone in a moment! i heard of one guy who is going to jet blue, he said it would be tough to only make 35 an hour for a year at jet blue, wow i would love to be struggling to make that much! the thing is, if you leave, you might want to come back, if you are an Fo. Imagine if we grow to have double or triple the planes we have now? then even with this messed up management it would be a good place to get the upgrade time to leave to somewhere more friendly! Thats a tough bet, I am not willing to sign any sub-industry contract to get more planes, i hope the rest of the pilot group thinks the same.

Last I checked I was mid to low 700's in senority. If my math is right, lose the avros and they would need to pick up 20+ some airplanes for me to even recalled and then a bunch more for an upgrade. How fast can they add airplanes ..... couple of years??? I would bet I would upgrade at other companies before even a chance at XJ. Heck might even upgrade before the recall.

Hey Guys,
I chose to come to RAH after I got furloughed on the 15th of Feb. I wish I had taken an earlier furlough when I had the chance, but I didn't want to leave the great guys at Mesaba. It's definitely different here, but with a lot of my former co-workers coming here anyway it's been fun. I would encourage all former XJ'rs to come here as you would be a credit to this place and very welcome. Come soon as we are looking for more growth in the near future. (Knock on wood - right!)

Have you considered fractionals? Citationshares has domiciles in the Midwest (not sure about MSP) and Avantair also offers many domicles throughout the country. Netjets is hiring and you could probably bid Columbus.

Why stay with the airlines - fractionals might be a better path. I know plenty of ex-regionals guys who have gotten on with Netjets and love it..... Flying Tiger Woods or a movie star in a Citation X ain't too bad.

Sorry for the dumb question but what airline is RAH?

I wish I would of taken the voluntary back in JAN, FEB 06 and started elsewhere building seniority while keeping my # at Mesaba. Hind sight is 20/20. And that would have only worked if I would have been proactive and could of just rolled right into another job. I personally thought XJ would not have nose dived this bad but maybe they can make a big recovery soon???

RAH is Republic.

I also got on with RAH and wish I hadn't waited around for three months after being furloughed to send in my app. This is the fourth airline I've worked for either flying or ramp and by far the best operation I've been a part of.

By the way if you have any vacation days at Mesaba they will still pay it out. I just cashed mine in the other day and got furloughed in Feb. Thought I should grab it before they shut the doors....

Where are the bases for RAH, and what kind of aircraft and payscales are you guys getting? (Yes, I know I could look it all up, but this is so much easier!)

In short: How is your QOL? How's the commute?

xjhawk said:
well, the issue for me is taking a regional job that starts out at 19 an hour, sure most regionals go right to like 38 an hour.....thats right people it would take 7 years at mesaba to make what a second year FO at most regionals. But that first year is a killer, could you imagine commuting to make 15 grand somewhere....while making house payments and such! wow.....now for captains, who are going to places that actually pay something reasonable first year, i would be gone in a moment! i heard of one guy who is going to jet blue, he said it would be tough to only make 35 an hour for a year at jet blue, wow i would love to be struggling to make that much! the thing is, if you leave, you might want to come back, if you are an Fo. Imagine if we grow to have double or triple the planes we have now? then even with this messed up management it would be a good place to get the upgrade time to leave to somewhere more friendly! Thats a tough bet, I am not willing to sign any sub-industry contract to get more planes, i hope the rest of the pilot group thinks the same.

Same way at AE. Heard the grass is greener over at SkyWest. Not sure though, just what I've heard.

Not sure why.....

but I'm hangin' in -- someone's gonna blink -- we need to get this ship turned around.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back