• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WX Radar to avoid Birdstrike

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We were waiting for t/o out of RSW one day and in front of us was a small lake with some birds around it. One bird popped his head up from behind a small mound just before I turned the radar on so we could check the wx for departure. Seconds after I turned the radar on, I noticed he ducked back down. I turned it off, and his head popped back up. I explained to the Capt what had just happened, and he told me to try it again. Same thing happened. I did it a third time, same result. "I'll be damned," the Capt said, "maybe there is something to that."

Coincidence?

or maybe it was just a bird playing peek a boo with you

We were waiting for t/o out of RSW one day and in front of us was a small lake with some birds around it. One bird popped his head up from behind a small mound just before I turned the radar on so we could check the wx for departure. Seconds after I turned the radar on, I noticed he ducked back down. I turned it off, and his head popped back up. I explained to the Capt what had just happened, and he told me to try it again. Same thing happened. I did it a third time, same result. "I'll be damned," the Capt said, "maybe there is something to that."

Coincidence?

So you are getting ready to launch a 150,000 lb. aircraft full of fuel and over 100 pax on board and you are playing with ducks in a pond? Awesome...

The only thing that would make it better is the fact that it was 200 and 1/2 mile. Long delays. Lot of free time. Hell, the birds won't fly in this. Might as well play with 'em.

This idea doesn't work.

While flying the CRJ, I was placed "into position and hold" on a runway that had a couple of hundred seagulls sitting at about the 1000' marks. We turned on the radar and not a single bird so much as twitched. We had to have airport ops come out with the bird canon's and scare them away before we could depart.

This idea doesn't work.

While flying the CRJ, I was placed "into position and hold" on a runway that had a couple of hundred seagulls sitting at about the 1000' marks. We turned on the radar and not a single bird so much as twitched. We had to have airport ops come out with the bird canon's and scare them away before we could depart.

If you were a bird, would you be intimidated by the CRJ? Not me. Now the EMB-170 is another story.

* Thought I was on the Regional Board with my EMB-170 comment. :erm:

Last edited:
If you were a bird, would you be intimidated by the CRJ? Not me. Now the EMB-170 is another story.

* Thought I was on the Regional Board with my EMB-170 comment. :erm:

comparing which regional jet is scarier is like...............i dunno, you fill in the blank, I'm at a loss for words

The birds I've hit in the Citation with the radar on lead me to believe it doesn't work.

...then again, the birds we hit passed us before slowing down and getting smacked...

comparing which regional jet is scarier is like...............i dunno, you fill in the blank, I'm at a loss for words

I was making fun of the Mighty E-170 Drivers on the Regional Board. Hence my comment about thinking I was on the Regionals Board to begin with.

I've lost myself too. :nuts: Oh well, on to the next thread.

The birds I've hit in the Citation with the radar on lead me to believe it doesn't work.

...then again, the birds we hit passed us before slowing down and getting smacked...

Yeah, I was gonna ask you about the chicken wire in the tail pipe, but now I get it, it prevents overtaking birds from flying in there.

The other day, I saw an old 500 series with d- ice boots on the trailing edge, know anything about that?

Latest resources

Back