WX in Den, how's Frontier doing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Skaff

With DEN being closed for over 45 hours last week, and then more bad WX in DEN now, how are they staying alive financially?

With DEN being closed for over 45 hours last week, and then more bad WX in DEN now, how are they staying alive financially?
The airport may have been closed, but all those pax eventually had to get to their destination, hence F6 flew them that's how.

We've strapped plows to the 318s and are tasked to keep DIA ramps clear.

It pays better than flying pax so don't worry about us!

The storm(s) aren't helping our bottom line, but on the bright side they give management a good excuse to show the loss they predicted earlier.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm sitting in MCI instead of doing my three scheduled flights today. This round of cancellations seems a bit knee jerk to me. One of the big wigs stated that the first storm cost us at least $5m. Do we have insurance for this sort of thing? I can only hope this will give our COO something to brandish as he pushes for more advancements in technology and communication. Also, this seems to evidence our need for another hub.

So, F9 Driver, your friends said "wear the fox hat", eh? Was that you that had to explain that to my dumb ass in recurrent a few weeks ago? Nonetheless, I like your avatar.

Good one, Fit59!

I am bracing for a devastating quarterly report. Prior to the first storm, Frontier was predicting a loss as high as 17 cents a share (around $6 million). Throw in two days of no ops during the busiest weekend of the year and then this weeks storm and I wouldn't be surprised if they posted a loss in excess of $15 million.

Yes, the people that had tickets and chose not to fly last weekend can still use those tickets in the future, but Frontier might not get paid until they fly. It depends on how the traveler paid for the ticket. That is also why frontier hawks those credit cards like crazy in terminal A. They have an agreement with MBNA or whoever backs the cards and the holdback is very low (less than 25%) so Frontier gets 75% percent of the purchase price of the ticket immediately and the rest when the traveler shows up and gets on a plane. If joe shmoe traveler bought the ticket with this united visa to get double dip on the frequent flier miles than frontier gets nada or close to nada until he gets on one of our planes. Combine that type of holdback with two days worth of cancelled flights that were booked around 97% full and you will see a major, major loss for the quarter.

On a side note, when I commuted into work last Friday I was AMAZED at the lack of snow at the airport. Every airport ops employee should be required to observe a heavy snow day at ORD before the next event at DIA. One important piece of equipment I saw missing were the snow melters. Each ramp should have had one right in the center, instead each ramp had one or two lanes surrounded by three feet of snow in the middle. Was this the first time it snowed since the airport opened?

Didn't the first day DIA opened back in 95 was during a snow storm?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back