WX below mins/continuing when inside the faf

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry to beat a dead horse.

So you pass the FAF and the weather drops below mins. You elect to continue and at the MAP you see the approach lights. Can you land under pt. 91? 121?

I understand that 91.175(c)(2) has not been met (flight vis. not less than the vis. prescribed by the approach being used), but what would be the point of continuing if you are prohibited to land?
Don't make it more complicated than it is. Pt91, you can, if you elect to, always go down and have a look-see. YOu just have to be reasonalbe about it and use common sense. If it's socked in and nobody has gotten in in 3 hours and it's just getting worse, then when you happen upon it only to find the magical 45 seconds where the vis requirements are met, land, and you taxi into the FBO, I suspect someone will want to have a chat with you.

Avoiding a hassle

Good point Hawker. While the question "am I legal?" is always important, one should also consider the question "will anyone believe I was legal?". That one could bite you, fairly or not. :(

Good point Hawker. While the question "am I legal?" is always important, one should also consider the question "will anyone believe I was legal?". That one could bite you, fairly or not. :(

With a good lawyer then asking the question "Can the Administrator prove my client wasn't legal?"

Kinda hard to definitely prove flight visibility...and I think that language is purposefully ambiguous for that reason.

it is very specific for part 135 if you do not have the minimum visability or rvr by the time you reach the final approach fix then you CANNOT continue the approach. Part 91 allows you to continue to the missed approach fix

hence why I commonly ask the crew if they want the RVR after they pass the LOM

Latest resources

Back