• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

WWII aviation forums

siouxicide

Gimme yo' change
Total Time
0-9000
Looking for a needle in a haystack here....I'm trying to find any websites pertaining to naval aviation squadrons from WWII. Trying to find information on my wife's grandfather. He's since passed away and nobody really knows anything of his story. I know there are websites/forums dedicated to Army units, full of pictures and detailed accounts. If anyone can send me in the right direction that'd be great. All I have is a name. No rank, squadron, nothing. Simply that he was pilot in the Navy.

N1VIBS

Total Time
Looking for a needle in a haystack here....I'm trying to find any websites pertaining to naval aviation squadrons from WWII. Trying to find information on my wife's grandfather. He's since passed away and nobody really knows anything of his story. I know there are websites/forums dedicated to Army units, full of pictures and detailed accounts. If anyone can send me in the right direction that'd be great. All I have is a name. No rank, squadron, nothing. Simply that he was pilot in the Navy.

This will be a very long shot, but you might try airwarriors.com (I think thats it). Its mostly Navy/Marine folks there and they might be able to point you in the right direction.

siouxicide

Gimme yo' change
Total Time
0-9000
I should have mentioned that I already tried both airwarriors.com and baseops.net. Tried searches as well, but like you said, without details it's a tough find.
Even if I could find somewhere with the list of all squadrons and then search individual squadrons. Daunting.

N1VIBS

Total Time
I should have mentioned that I already tried both airwarriors.com and baseops.net. Tried searches as well, but like you said, without details it's a tough find.
Even if I could find somewhere with the list of all squadrons and then search individual squadrons. Daunting.

Don't know why I didn't think of this before. Go to archives.gov and look under military records. Goes back all the way to WWI; Being a Gov. site, its a little bit of a hassle. but it might work for you. Good luck.

siouxicide

Gimme yo' change
Total Time
0-9000
Don't know why I didn't think of this before. Go to archives.gov and look under military records. Goes back all the way to WWI; Being a Gov. site, its a little bit of a hassle. but it might work for you. Good luck.

Awesome. Thanks!