• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

WWII Aviation Archeology

99's

Total Time
<posts
I found this link off of the Abandoned Airfield thread for this website where they catalogue and try to perserve old military crash sites in the US.

Apparently, I have several on the mountain in my backyard and dozens surrounding the old AF bases where I live. It never occured to me that there would be wreckage from that long ago still intact, and that someone would actually hunt it down.

http://www.aviationarchaeology.com/src/crashsites.htm

User546

The Ultimate Show Stopper
Total Time
+1500
Thanks for sharing the link! I've always been fascinated by that kind of stuff.

Has anyone here hiked up (or flown over) Humprhey's Peak north of Flagstaff, AZ and seen the wreckage from the B-24 (or 25?) that flew into the side of the mountain during WWII while on a training mission?

414Flyer

Down with Chemtrails!
Total Time
There is a B-24 on top of a mountain near my house here in NM.

I read some of those websites, its amazing what some of them have found.

At once crash site that had supposedly been thoroughly gone thru after the crash, a guy found the pilots ring and gave it to the family.

At an A-12 crash site report that contained intentional erroneous location info, some people finally found the site, and found where the pilot came down after an unsuccessful ejection. Pilots sunglasses were found there, probably had been in his pocket.