• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

100-1/2

OVER-N-DUN!
Seriously?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Falc...rs_Aircraft&hash=item2eaeb6d122#ht_500wt_1182

Let's see....I want to "own" an aircraft, have someone else make my mortgage every month, DO NOT WANT TO CHARTER and WANT TO MAINTAIN FULL OPERATIONAL CONTROL???

Truly, this is by far the best indication of what is wrong with GA.

100-1/2

Yep.

Our conversation with owners usually goes something like this...

Us: Hi. We understand that you would like to discuss placing your <turboprop> our charter cert. We are very interested in adding another aircraft.
Them: Cool! Free money!
Us: Well, not really. We get to retain operational control and we have to perform MX (in house MX shop). Also, placing your airplane on a 135 certificate is a great way to reduce the cost of owning an airplane. Please don't think that you will make money.
Them: But it's my plane...and...what's "operational control."
Us: Basically, we have to have to assume the go/no go responsibility. Additionally, we have to have a company employee, usually a pilot, on the airplane during every flight. It's not a policy, it's actually a regulation that we must comply with.
Them: But is't my plane...
Us: Yes.
Them: ...so I can still use it whenever I want?
Us: Yes and no. To maintain operational control, we have to have a company employee, usually a pilot, flying on the aircraft with you and you'll have to "charter" it. Don't worry, you won't be billed the chater rate, but we do need to treat every flight like a charter. As far as our arrangement is concerned, you are a customer who gets to charter the aircraft at cost.
Them: But it's my plane.
Us: Yes.
Us: We understand, but the law is the law. It's actually a common arrangement and allowing it to fly on a 135 certificate will allow you to defray some the costs of ownersh...
Us: <sigh>

Latest resources

Back